Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about pumps

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay so I am basically a EP with giving the baby breast 2-3 times a day depending on his mood and how he is feeling. I would like to have him at breast more and we are working on it but he just gets so frustrated cause it isn't "fast" enough. (He was 5 weeks early and in the NICU for 3 weeks so he was bottled and paci from about 10 days old.) So my question is .. I am going back to work, I have has the hospital pump and will be returning it the end of this month. (I have had it and been pumping since 9/17) I just purchased the Ameda Purely Yours and have a Medela something .. can't remember .. but my question is .. When will my production be the same with the non-hospial grade pump? I have been trying to use it and I get so much less .. will my body ever adjust and get the same amount? or will it be what it is? Also, how do I get him to breast more? He has GERD and allergies so when he doesn't feel good it is over. Has Do I just try to latch when he is arched and screaming? I am also on the no whey, lecitin, seafood, dairy, soy, nuts diet and know I haven't been getting enough calories. Does anyone know where I can find foods/quick recipes that do not inculed those things?

Any tips would be great. Thanks so much!

by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Quoting lora2905:

Okay so I am basically a EP with giving the baby breast 2-3 times a day depending on his mood and how he is feeling. SuperMommy! That is tough! My mom had to do that with my brother because he was so early his suck reflux was backwards.

I would like to have him at breast more and we are working on it but he just gets so frustrated cause it isn't "fast" enough.Have you tried an SNS and ditching the bottles? You can have control over the flow with an SNS.

(He was 5 weeks early and in the NICU for 3 weeks so he was bottled and paci from about 10 days old.) So my question is .. I am going back to work,Hmm, so I guess you probably do not want to ditch the bottle unless you have a great sitter that would be willing to spoon or cup feed.

I have has the hospital pump and will be returning it the end of this month. (I have had it and been pumping since 9/17) I just purchased the Ameda Purely Yours and have a Medela something .. can't remember .. but my question is .. When will my production be the same with the non-hospial grade pump?Sadly, probably not. Could you maybe rent the hopsital pump for a while longer? Baby is obviously best at removing milk, them comes hospital grade pump, then, commercial electric, then manual.

I have been trying to use it and I get so much less .. will my body ever adjust and get the same amount? or will it be what it is? Also, how do I get him to breast more? Have you ever heard of baby led latching? I have a wonderful DVD that even shows a baby at three months of age that was never breastfed, latching for the very first time! It made me cry! Sit comfortably with baby either in just a diaper or a teeshirt, and you bare from the waist up. Hold baby bewteen the breasts and speak soothingly to keep him calm. He will slowly either bob his way down or just lurch down to the nipple. It is instinct for a baby. Support him, but go with him. You can try to encourage or guide him down slowly, but if he gets upset go back to the upright position and keep him calm.  He will get it!

He has GERD and allergies so when he doesn't feel good it is over. Has Do I just try to latch when he is arched and screaming? I am also on the no whey, lecitin, seafood, dairy, soy, nuts diet and know I haven't been getting enough calories.Is the diet due to his allergies? If so just try to find as many healthful things as you can, and just eat to hunger and drink to thirst. No need to count calories. 

Does anyone know where I can find foods/quick recipes that do not inculed those things?

My office's IBCLC gave the best bit of advice to me ever. Baby's job is to eat, which he knows how to do. Mom's job is to simply keep him calm enough to do so.

I am Andi. I am a 21 year old breastfeeding, baby in sling, cloth diapering momma of two. I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, hoping to become an IBCLC. Ask me about my Momma-Made cloth diapers, CD'ing accessories and baby slings!

lora2905
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the information! Yes pumping is tiring .. I pump ever 2 hrs .. even at night when he is sleeping. He needs me, and I am what is best for him .. so it is my job until he is atleast 1. I am traveling the end of this month and that is another reason I am giving the pump back .. I need a smaller pump to take with me. I mean I could technically rent one for the 2 weeks I am away from the local hospital I am sure .. so I will have to see how the small pump works and if I need the hospital pump I will just go get it. We will also be a bit more relaxed so breastfeeding might be easier when we are away. (It will also give me a reason to get away from family when I need a break.) =) Is 2oz of milk each feeding enough for him? Do we only always go by diaper count? He does have plenty of those. I don't count calories .. I just know I am not eating enough because there is such a limited amount to eat. Sometimes I only eat 2 times a day and I know that is not nearly enough but I don't know what type of snacks to eat in between meals and what to eat for breakfast.

lora2905
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM

What is a SNS and where can I get one that is easy to use?

Shabaam_CFC
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 11:05 AM

You mentioned that you only eat 2 TIMES A DAY. How is that nearly enough for you AND your baby.

Please know that i am not trying to bash you, but sweetie, YOU need to eat, you wont make nearly enough milk, if you dont get food in you. And there are plenty of things you can eat. Fruits, meat, chicken, rice, can you eat oatmeal? that is a great milk supplier.

Also your baby will eat as much as he wants, dont worry about it, your body will keep up with him, its amazing what your body can do IF YOU EAT ENOUGH AND STAY HYDRATED :D

UUUMMMM GL momma.

New Mommy to a lovely son Charles (Charlie)

Wifey to my wonderful Husband Ken

and Soldier and SGT in the Army.

Shabaam_CFC
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Quoting lora2905:

What is a SNS and where can I get one that is easy to use?

It is a device that is used with your BM, to help him with latching and BF.

The link below shows what it looks like. I used it, and it helped, because getting my son to latch at first was horrible, for the both of us.

http://www.breastfeedinc.com/breastfeed/images/14.jpg

I also used the Nipple Shield because one of my nipples puckers in, and the other one goes flat..which sucks for trying to latch. That can also help you in the beginning.

uummm to get any and all of these items, talk to a Lacatation Consultant, they are awesome, and can sit with you and help you :)

New Mommy to a lovely son Charles (Charlie)

Wifey to my wonderful Husband Ken

and Soldier and SGT in the Army.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I am glad the PP has some experience with an SNS. She will be a good one for you to talk to. I have helped other moms use them, but have never used one myself, so she will be a good resource. And she is also absolutely right that you should speak with an IBCLC. That is a must for most nursing moms! Try to find one that is familiar with baby led latching, though most are anymore. She can physically show you in office how it works.  I think it is great what you are doing and willing to do with your baby, and if you can get him to latch well anytime you are with him, you should be able to return the hospital pump and use a commercial electric just fine. It is just important to use the hospital grade right now for supply since he is not nursing often.

ETA: while it is important to eat, it will not affect supply unless you are literally starving yourself. Studies done in third world countries where malnourishment is rampant show that the women have no less milk nor is there milk any lesser quality than women in developed countries. What will happen though is your body will suffer, so it is really important you eat.

And yes, diaper count is all that matters, ever. What goes in must come out! LOL!

I am Andi. I am a 21 year old breastfeeding, baby in sling, cloth diapering momma of two. I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, hoping to become an IBCLC. Ask me about my Momma-Made cloth diapers, CD'ing accessories and baby slings!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 15, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Quoting lora2905:

Okay so I am basically a EP with giving the baby breast 2-3 times a day depending on his mood and how he is feeling. I would like to have him at breast more and we are working on it but he just gets so frustrated cause it isn't "fast" enough.

Yeah....that's one of those situations where you sorta have to sayy "tough" and make him take the breast anyway....

(He was 5 weeks early and in the NICU for 3 weeks so he was bottled and paci from about 10 days old.) So my question is .. I am going back to work, I have has the hospital pump and will be returning it the end of this month. (I have had it and been pumping since 9/17) I just purchased the Ameda Purely Yours and have a Medela something .. can't remember .. but my question is .. When will my production be the same with the non-hospial grade pump?

Possibly never, I fear. Even with a hospital grade I regularly got two ounces.

I have been trying to use it and I get so much less .. will my body ever adjust and get the same amount? or will it be what it is? Also, how do I get him to breast more?

SImply by putting him there. Use a supplemental nursing system instead of a bottle.

He has GERD and allergies so when he doesn't feel good it is over. Has Do I just try to latch when he is arched and screaming? I am also on the no whey, lecitin, seafood, dairy, soy, nuts diet and know I haven't been getting enough calories. Does anyone know where I can find foods/quick recipes that do not inculed those things?

lora2905
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Quoting Shabaam_CFC:

You mentioned that you only eat 2 TIMES A DAY. How is that nearly enough for you AND your baby.

Please know that i am not trying to bash you, but sweetie, YOU need to eat, you wont make nearly enough milk, if you dont get food in you. And there are plenty of things you can eat. Fruits, meat, chicken, rice, can you eat oatmeal? that is a great milk supplier.

Also your baby will eat as much as he wants, dont worry about it, your body will keep up with him, its amazing what your body can do IF YOU EAT ENOUGH AND STAY HYDRATED :D

UUUMMMM GL momma.

It's okay, I know you weren't trying to bash me. I know I am not eating nearly enough. I was in the beginning before they put me on the diet. Most fruits give him bad acid .. do you know of any fruits that will produce less acid in him? I have been doing meats, rice, and veggies .. but for breakfast I can't seem to bring myself to cook. I was eating oatmeal but the one I have has soy lecitin in it and that is a NO. I am looking for a crockpot recipe for steel oats .. I used to eat the one at Jamba Juice but they use soy milk in it so now that is a NO as well. I used to have nuts and stuff like that inbetween meals but now I am just in a rut with food. Luckly I am going to my parents for almost 14 days and my mom has found recipes and talked to a nutritionist to get stuff to cook for me and then I will make them once I get back home.

I was asking about how much because I want to know how much to put in the bottle so I don't waste any. You know when you are working as hard as I am I refuse to waste. =)

My lactation team at the hospital was great .. that is where I went and got my new pump from. I didn't even think to ask if she could watch me breastfeed him when I was there yesterday. They are 45 minutes away or I would go today. I will have to go see them when I get back from vacation or I will see if I can do a LLL meeting when I am home. I will also look into the SNS. Thank you so much for all your help. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)