Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Microwaving Breastmilk?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have caught my husband microwaving bottles of breastmilk to give to our son.  I have read that it shouldn't be microwaved...do you guys microwave bottles?  If not, how do you warm them quickly?  What are the reasons not to microwave?

by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvbeingmama
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:48 PM

i put mine in a cup of warm water and let it sit for a bit.  your not suppose to microwave it because it zaps the nutrients in the milk and can create hot spots in the milk and burn baby

lorsmommy08
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Microwaving breastmilk kills the properties in it. 

The best way to heat breast milk is to put the bag in warm water and let it sit there a few minutes.

~*~Krista~*~ Mom to Lorelai (5-28-2007), and Peyton (April 20, 2009)!

Sekzymexi
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Quoting luvbeingmama:

i put mine in a cup of warm water and let it sit for a bit.  your not suppose to microwave it because it zaps the nutrients in the milk and can create hot spots in the milk and burn baby

Yes exactly...

Amy614
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

At the daycare where I work, we use a bottle warmer, like this one.  It heats the bottles very quickly!  Otherwise, at home, we just use a bowl of hot water.

Ixchel183
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM

the reason i heard not to microwave is that it creates bubbles or packets of heat and doesn't heat the bottle evenly, so even if you test and it feels ok, there could be really hot parts in it that could burn baby.

we just run hot water in the sink and put the bottle in there, it's not as fast as a microwave but it works.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

banana-bear
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I used to just get a cup of piping hot tap water and take off the top of the bottle, stick it in the cup and wait a minute. It really only took a minute to warm it through. 

mommawhite08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM

i have a glass measuring cup that I fill half way with water, microwave for 1.5 mins for cold milk and 3 mins for frozen, and then I let the bottle sit in it a few min's

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Everyone above gave great reasons. I'll add one more thought...baby's food never gets nuked, even when you get to solids. Hot spots can burn the baby's mouth.

marigrimes
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I microwave. I dont have the energy or time right now to wait 15 minutes for a bottle to warm. I microwave about 2 oz at a time with the top of the bottle off. I do it for 30 seconds, 10 seconds at a time. I put the top back on after each ten seconds and then shake it. It works out fine for us. Never had hot spots or anything. I always do the wrist thing just to make sure tho.

in love         
    Soul Mates     Kaylee Mae  Savannah Faith       Alissa Marie
         6-4-05             5-19-07           12-13-05                 10-28-09

Lovemybrayden
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM

I would put small amounts in two bottles then put them in hot water then combine....it seemed to be faster that way......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)