Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

13 month old nursing too much

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM
  • 12 Replies

My baby is 13 months old and nurses 3 times at night (while she's in the bed with me) 2 times in the morning, 1 or 2 times in the afternoon and 2 times in the evening.  anyone else's baby doing this at a year old??? she drinks from a cup if i hold it (and usually water or milk spills) but she won't drink more than a sip or two.  same thing with the sippy cup and straws, a sip or two max.  she has a melt down if i don't bf her when she wants and if i give her a sippy instead she has a HUGE meltdown.   

by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JT32606
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM

EBF here for me, my son is 17 months, he does that still sometimes.
He does it if he is going through a growth spurt, doesnt feel well, etc.
Lately the past 2 days, he's been doing it, he walks over and pulls up my shirt (a bit embarrassing) but im pretty sure he's going through a growth spurt.

is she eating like this all the time? Theres no such thing as nursing too much, its good for baby! lol.

I STILL BF my 17 month old son,is that ok?
I have pitbulls and they are terrible, they lick my sons face and cuddle up with him at night.
Im pro military, tattoos, piercings,AND legalizing marijuana

JT32606
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM

oh, btw, try a bottle with a nipple like nipple....i had to start my son on that, lol, now he uses sippy cups and loves straws.

I STILL BF my 17 month old son,is that ok?
I have pitbulls and they are terrible, they lick my sons face and cuddle up with him at night.
Im pro military, tattoos, piercings,AND legalizing marijuana

BellahMom
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM

My son has been weaned for almost 5 months now BUT he nursed any where from 15-20 times a day every day until he hit 15 months and I said it was time to slow down but he continued to nurse around 10 times a day until he hit 20 months then it was slowly weaning from there until 22 months. SO every baby is different but your baby is definitely doing just fine =] Her nursing habits will continue to change all the time but at this point unless you want to wean just let it be she is still so young =]

minneapolismama
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

it's hard to remember how many times a day my son was nursing at that age, but it was definitely on demand, i would say about 8 times a day and 2 at night at the most though. unless he was sick or growing, then he would nurse off and on ALL DAY. it made me crazy once in awhile during those times, but i knew he was still getting perfect nutrition from me so i just let him explore solids on his own schedule. offer her meals and snacks and have water available all day, maybe she will slow down. you can also try to distract her with cuddling, playing a game, reading, etc when she wants to nurse and you know she doesn't "need" to. my son didn't wean until he was over 2 1/2 and i was 2 months pregnant. 

hmommy07
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM

yes she eats like that EVERY day!!! sometimes more like 15 times a day.  i guess it's alright??? im wondering if she eats taht much because she doesn't get enough at one time?? idk!!!

BellahMom
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting hmommy07:

yes she eats like that EVERY day!!! sometimes more like 15 times a day.  i guess it's alright??? im wondering if she eats taht much because she doesn't get enough at one time?? idk!!!

No it doesn't mean she is not getting enough. See, breastfed babies differ BIG time here compared to bottle babies cause breastfed babies nurse when their, hungry, thirsty, tired, sad, happy, fearful, anxious, growing and so on.............. If she is gaining well and eating other things too and she seems content most of the time then how much she is nursing is only her preference =]

hmommy07
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM

so is it okay that she doesn't drink anything else but breast milk?  she eats pretty normally and has snacks (all table food, and some pureed green beans because that's the only veggies she'll eat) but she only drinks bm... what do you think?

Quoting BellahMom:

Quoting hmommy07:

No it doesn't mean she is not getting enough. See, breastfed babies differ BIG time here compared to bottle babies cause breastfed babies nurse when their, hungry, thirsty, tired, sad, happy, fearful, anxious, growing and so on.............. If she is gaining well and eating other things too and she seems content most of the time then how much she is nursing is only her preference =]

BellahMom
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Quoting hmommy07:

so is it okay that she doesn't drink anything else but breast milk?  she eats pretty normally and has snacks (all table food, and some pureed green beans because that's the only veggies she'll eat) but she only drinks bm... what do you think?

Quoting BellahMom:

Quoting hmommy07:

Well she doesn't NEED milk but it wouldn't hurt at her age and yes I think water is a good thing to get in the habit of liking =] its healthy and hydrating and doesn't rot the teeth so yes I would encourage that but you don't need to push it. Have you tried a nuby cup? Try one if not and put water in it they are a mix between a bottle and cup and most kids who don't take to the cup will take to that. Also some kids only like ice water or cold water so you could try that maybe?

=]

LittleAsmom605
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 1:37 AM

My baby is almost 17 months and breastfeeds 3-4 times a night after putting her to bed by nursing and then nursing upon awakening  (she is still in the bed with us!) . She also breastfeeds all throughout the day. I try to give her solid food three meals a day and snacks whether she eats it or not. 1.) because I want her to have the option and make sure she is getting what she needs and 2.) because I feel like I should. I must say after reading some of the former discussions of this post I feel so much better. BF is a whole other world I wasn't even aware of. I thought I would stop at one year because that was "acceptable" but as my baby grows and the more I become aware of its benefits  and see the comfort and nurturing it gives her I can see that it is just fine.  All babies are different and moms milk and schedules are all different so you just go with the flow. Yes it is exhausting, but wonderful and she won't always want to bf so I am just taking it as I go.

Some of my friends say that bf at night is like a milkshake that babies don't need is that true. I wouldn't want to be doing something that isn't good for her.

BellahMom
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Quoting LittleAsmom605:

My baby is almost 17 months and breastfeeds 3-4 times a night after putting her to bed by nursing and then nursing upon awakening  (she is still in the bed with us!) . She also breastfeeds all throughout the day. I try to give her solid food three meals a day and snacks whether she eats it or not. 1.) because I want her to have the option and make sure she is getting what she needs and 2.) because I feel like I should. I must say after reading some of the former discussions of this post I feel so much better. BF is a whole other world I wasn't even aware of. I thought I would stop at one year because that was "acceptable" but as my baby grows and the more I become aware of its benefits  and see the comfort and nurturing it gives her I can see that it is just fine.  All babies are different and moms milk and schedules are all different so you just go with the flow. Yes it is exhausting, but wonderful and she won't always want to bf so I am just taking it as I go.

Some of my friends say that bf at night is like a milkshake that babies don't need is that true. I wouldn't want to be doing something that isn't good for her.

Well first off I would say that yes dont stop offering solid foods she does need it especially by that age BUT if she is gaining well there is no need to be pushy either =]

On the BF at night thing, first off after a while for a baby it does become habit to wake and nurse BUT who are we to say when its habit or if she needs it you know? Also too much attack on the teeth at night can cause tooth decay BUT breastfeeding is is the least cause for concern in that area besides water so it does not directly cause tooth decay but rather lack of care in general of the teeth. (not saying you but some in general)

Bottom line is if your baby is still waking to nurse at this age unless there is another reason you need to stop then go ahead. At this age also if you would like to cut some of the feedings out that is fine as well just start by doing like 1 a week its alot harder to cut the night ones then the day usually. =]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN