Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Almost EP trying to get back to the breast

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 2 months old and had trouble gaining weight in the beginning so the doc told me to pump after each feeding then give him the milk I pumped to help him gain what he needed and then around 2-4oz of formula to ensure he was getting enough. He finnaly got up to his birth weight at 1 month. In the beginning it worked well and I was still recovering from a c section so the time I spent BF and pumping wasn't an issue.

Gradually though over the last 6 weeks he wanted the breast less and the bottle more and when I try to BF instead of a bottle he only eats enough to satisfy him for around an hour. I really want to get him back to primarily BF but then wonder if its worth it as I go back to work in 2 weeks and will have to pump for him then. Also I'm traveling to my parents for 12 days and it would be so much nicer to be able to just BF instead of being tied to the pump.

Any ideas??

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LeanneC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Just stop giving him bottles.  Nursing every hour is normal, so go with it.   When you go back to work, only give bottles while you are away and only nurse when you are with him. 

BlueBeauties
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM

For the first 15 weeks I was pumping and supplementing my twins b/c their mouths were too small and I didn't have enough supply.  I kept trying to get them to BF once and a while and finally at 15 weeks I decided I was going to make it work.  My DS latched on like a champ and never looked back, my DD was another story, she wanted nothing to do with the breast.  I ended up using a nipple shield with her at first and would always offer the breast without shield first and then the shield and if she still refused gave in and gave her a bottle.  My DH and I spent one weekend trying to get them to the breast and it paid off.  DD did require a NS for about a week but then she switched over to the breast and now won't take a bottle. :)  The type of bottles I was using were The BreastFlow, so they were using bottles that mimic breastfeeding that they had to work for.  Good luck!  You can do it, but it isn't going to be easy likely!

CafeMom Tickers
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I have twins and they were supplmemented at birth. Because of that, one of my boys got nipple confusion so I EP'ed for about 2 months.. While pumping, I also tried to get him back onto the breast. I finally succeeded and I'll share what worked for us:

-Skin to skin. You with no shirt and no bra. Baby with just a diaper. Put him on your chest and hold him.

-Pump to get letdown going and then try to latch him

-breast compressions

-Put milk on you nipples and try to latch

One thing I found that if you don't try as soon as he rooting, it can lead to frustration and that session can go down the tubes.

Keep trying! It takes a lot patience, but it can be done.

kfey2
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Thanks  for the advice and support he hasn't had a bottle since yesterday morning and he's happy wanting to nurse every two hours or so :) Should I still pump after he's done nursing? I want to be sure that he is getting enough and not stop gaining weight since we had issues with that before.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2009 at 4:30 PM
Quoting kfey2:

Thanks  for the advice and support he hasn't had a bottle since yesterday morning and he's happy wanting to nurse every two hours or so :) Should I still pump after he's done nursing? I want to be sure that he is getting enough and not stop gaining weight since we had issues with that before.

I'd just nurse for now. Count dipes. Expected gain is a mere 4-6 ounces a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)