Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little worried and need some reassurance

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM
  • 1 Replies

Hi there, 

Let me give you all a little background to start. Before DS was born I was monitored for restricted growth (he started measuring smaller then he should have). Going in for weekly non-stress tests and weekly ultrasounds.  When Jacob was born he was full term and weighed 6lbs 11oz. During birth he swallowed some fluids and didn't eat for 8hrs after birth. They finally suctioned the fluid out and they gave him 2oz of a bottle. They told me he had a very sensitive gag reflex which I noticed those first few weeks of BF. Had some issues with him BF in the beginning with projectile vomiting and Ped and LC weren't much help. Got through the vomiting, still have some gag issues once in a while, got a new Ped. But, here we are and he'll be 6mo on the 27Th and he has still not doubled his birth weight. His weigh in last week was 11lbs 7oz.. I see EBF 2mo bigger then him. I know that this is the most crucial time for brain development and I am so worried that he is not getting the nutrients he needs or that his body is just not retaining it or maybe I just don't supply him with enough. I nurse on demand which can be as frequent as every 2hrs.  He refuses any bottles, cereal, veggies, fruit. He just gags and will not take it. If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or similar experiences and what actions were taken I would greatly appreciate it. I never had this problem with my other three two of which were BF and one whom was put on Nutramigen(sp) All of my other kids were big babies allways in the 70th% and higher on the regular growth charts. But my little man isn't even on the BF growth chart. Please Help!! TIA

in love12/23/01 wearing crownClaudia 12/06/03 jumping ropeIvy 4/26/05 toddler girlScarlett 12/12/07 baby boyJacob 06/27/09

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
LeanneC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Is he meeting milestones?   Making diapers? 

Really, it sounds like he's just got small genes.  They were worried about his growth in the womb and he's continuing on that track.  He IS growing though, and that's the important thing.    If he's meeting milestones, then you know he's getting everything he needs for brain development.

The one thing I would look into is dairy intollerance.  It can cause slow weight gain in some babies.   It's the only thing I can think of that may be an issue... or, again, he may just be a small child naturally. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)