• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Causes Autism.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM
  • 19 Replies

Last month when I went to visit my family my mom told me that she saw a news session that said that they wanted mothers to lessen up on breastfeeding, and those that did choose to breastfeed needed to be tested for a gene that is passed through the breastmilk and causes Autism in their babies. I thought this was the stupidest thing....ever. My sisters now do not want to breastfeed their children because they feel that they will harm them in the long run. I for one wont believe anything the government promotes until they admit to the harm their vaccines do to our children...but thats JMO. Has anyone heard of this?? Or do you believe a lick of it?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtle-luv
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:23 AM

wow never heard that one before! If you had a gene for autism wouldn't it be passed to your baby anyways when it was in your uterus!? lol I'm gonna go google this now, but it sounds like crap to me

earthmama727
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM

No, I do not believe in it in the slightest, not for a milisecond.  As far as I can tell, autism boomed when people started giving their babies formula, giving them 6 shots in one dr visit, drinking diet sodas and eating all their foods out of boxes filled with chemical additvies.Also, someone I talked to had a theory that autism had a relation to pollution in our water.  My step mom who works in child development research always tells me that babies under 2 or 3 years old aren't supposed to watch TV because being glued to a tv screen while they are still learning how to comprehend the world somehow warps them, and I could understand that.  But I really can't see breastfeeding as anything other than beneficial... Not only for the superior nutritional value, but because it encourages more interaction and holding and bonding between mother and baby.  There are so many countless studies backing the benefits of all that up... Even the delayed speech thing, that is so common now and one issue in some cases of autism,  my SM was saying that when you talk to your baby as s/he is BFing, they are at the perfect distance from your face to watch your lips move and learn to talk sooner on average. 

Either someone misunderstood what they heard on the news or their was some other agenda behind the report.  Children were BORN TO BE BREASTFED! It is how God and nature meant for our babies to thrive, so i' don't believe that it could harm them at all. Maybe if the mother is on a certain med or taking drugs or for some reason has other contaminants in her system, then I could believe it could hurt them, but even then, it isn't the breastfeeding itself, but the contaminant.  

MomNtheRes
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I  call bullshit! Genes do NOT get passed through breastmilk. Antibodies for viruses- sure, vitamins, fat, proteins, all o those. But not genes. Genetic issues exist from the moment the sperm and egg meet- even if the issue is something that doesn't even come up till later on in life (like bad acne during puberty, ect.). People can believe what they want to- but before they go hopping on whatever fad-bandwagin happens to cruise by they should REALLY do some research on the topic! 

The ONLY way I could see some sort of harm through breatmilk is if the mother had some sort of issue to where a specific nutrient wasn't being supplied by her milk. But generally either you get a supply in and can breastfeed, or you can't. Of course there are always exceptions- but thats my take on it. I still plan on bfing- oh well!

Join us! An active group for Mom's who are, or have been through, a deployment to support one another so we can stay Deployment Strong!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/DeploymentStrong

come home               in love

rocklovinggirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:45 AM

I don't believe it either!
Maybe they are secretly trying to promote formula for a formula company... who knows.

Operation.Karma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:51 AM

All respect to your mother yet wow!! I would really like to know what news program she was watching. I have 3 and all 3 were/are being breastfeed. My last one is going on 14 months and he is self weaning I believe. I am a FRIM believer in that the emotions and foods that a woman eats while pregnant really effect the baby. I have 2 children that I watched everything that I ate and my emotions where in check. I was happy or tried to have a great outlook on life when it was only me and the unborn child. They are the two of the most outgoing, funny, happy children that anyone has been around. My middle child not soo much. I was in a horrible spiral esp. towards the end of pregnancy. NO DRUGS OR BOOZE. Not even pain meds for my broken kneecap 2 weeks before the baby was due. My food intake was horrible towards the very end of the pregnancy. I cringe every time my middle child has an issue or he gets so difficult because I really feel that I effected to his well being. Soooo please even if we don't pass the AUTISM gene thru our breast milk, just remember that little life whether unborn or breastfeeding has no choice on the foundation that you are creating for their self. Be careful in what your emotions are and your intake of food also. There  was 4 of us women that were about 3 months part and not to brag yet my youngest son is the healthiest, happiest, strongest, lively, advanced out of all those children. And we all TALKED about it. Yet each one admitted that they were all talk and really did not follow thru with keeping their unborn child needs first most in their actions.

Look forward to hearing about which news report reported this.

Jynnipher805
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:55 AM

The only question I have is: Who funded this "study"? Enfamil? Similac? Nestle?

Oh wait, one more question! Was autism on the rise in the 1700s or 1800s?

Mom71307
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Genes do not get passed after a child is born... what is there is there.  The genes are established as soon as fertilization happens since they are carried in the egg and sperm.  Once the two unite, the genetic code is there and won't change.  IF autisms genetic, then it is  there when the deed is done!  IF Autism is caused by external circumstances (vaccines, chemicals in food, etc), then those whose children have it caused it by what environment they put their children into!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
stpalmsgirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:59 AM

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! I will continue to breastfeed my 2 1/2 year old as long as she wants and every other future child of mine. So funny that all the crap in the food or vaccines is "scientifically proven" to cause no harm but breast milk that's the one that will cause autism, WHATEVER!

SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Um, okay, babies have breastfed since the beginning of mankind.  Autism has only been on the rise in the past 20 years, coinciding with, like the PP said, formula, vaccinations, pollution, more rampant intervention during childbirth, and food jam-packed with hormones, preservatives, and artificial chemicals.  Hmmmmmm........ 

elismom122003
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Complete BS! I can't believe people believe such crap! I did not breastfeed my son who is autistic. However I do breastfeed my 4 month old daughter, and we obviously don't know yet if she is on the spectrum, but I don't see a sign yet. Some people are just anti breastfeeding. I think people are just terrified of autism. Of course no one wants their child to have it, but people are just desperate for answers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)