• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone make their own baby food???

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone make there own baby food?? I have been trying and then freezing it, but when it thaws its watery....

Also I feel like I dont know what to make for him.  He cannot have cereal because it constipates him so we stick to fruits and vegies.

He doesnt get a lot of solids, our schedule is:

Morning-BM

Around 9am-Applesause with his medicine

11 am-he gets his Zantac

and then be gets BM all day

5 or 6pm-a vegie and a fruit...

So far I have made: carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, and i just made peas

His fruits have only been prunes, applesause and a few bites of a bannana.

Lilypie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
WilliamsMama08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I did.  Had the same problem, but I would just mix in a little cereal (or whatever you want to use) to thicken it up.  He HATED it when it was thin, would spit it out lol.  Oh, also watch how much liquid you use when you prepare it (puree it).  Less you use the less there is when you go to thaw... KWIM?

calebsmama713
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM

That's weird cause I never had that problem. Sometimes a certain type of apple would thaw really thin but I'd just mix it with another food and change type of apple next time.

Are you adding liquid when you puree it to freeze?? If so, stop. I never ever add any liquid. It takes a little longer to puree but it's worth it cause it's NOT runny when I thaw.

There's a group on here called Homemade Baby Food or something like that--join it. It's amazing! Also there's a website wholesomebabyfood.com (or org??) you'll find it--it's great it tells you how to pick the foods, how to prepare/freeze/thaw them. Gives you tons of recipes too!

preview image  
Lilypie - (Q0na)

terribeari
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Puree it, without adding any liquid. Add liquid after defrosting.

Some of our early foods were avocado-don't freeze, banana, squash, sweet potato, peaches, pears, blueberries

When my son first started solids I read "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron from the library. It had so many great ideas and recipes for babies to toddlers, I ended up buying it. I am still using it. www.wholesomebabyfood.com also has tons of great recipes

aenima49
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Quoting terribeari:

Puree it, without adding any liquid. Add liquid after defrosting.

Some of our early foods were avocado-don't freeze, banana, squash, sweet potato, peaches, pears, blueberries

When my son first started solids I read "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron from the library. It had so many great ideas and recipes for babies to toddlers, I ended up buying it. I am still using it. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ also has tons of great recipes

Ditto wholesomebabyfood and adding liquid AFTER pureeing & freezing.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I never froze anything...just mashed whatever we were eating. (Since my husband's vegetable repertoire is very limited that made it easy!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)