Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 14 months old. For the last month or so, he really only nurses 3-4 times a day. He nurses when he wakes up in the morning, before his one nap, after his one nap, and before bed. He doesn't really seem to be eating much. I work part time, so when I'm gone and DH has to bottle feed him, he really only takes about 2-3 ounces, so I'm assuming he may take a couple ounces or more from my breast, but you never know. Anyways, because of the reduction, my supply has majorly depleted. It's tough for me to even pump much for him when I work. I'm not sure if I should wean him altogether or just keep plugging away at it like this. I had hopes he'd nurse until 2. Is he weaning now? I have tried to feed him more frequently and he's really not interested. He also won't drink milk. I don't want to give him formula, so I don't even know what I would give him when he stops nursing. I've tried giving him a bit of milk in with the breastmilk a little more at a time to get him use to it, but if it's much more than half, he won't take anymore once he tastes it. What did you give when your child stopped nursing?

**UPDATE**

I removed the word "raw" from before milk in this post since it seemed to cause some unnecessary issues. My family drinks raw (that is unpasteurized) cow's milk. I have done extensive research and that is the decision I have made. We have been drinking it for 2 years now and have done very well. No one has ever gotten any kind of illness as a result of it and in fact the majority of our previous health issues that I feel were related to store-brought milk have disappeared, how mysterious. If you want to take it up with me, or you have a question regarding my decisions, please present them in a message. This group is a free group, we are to support each other kindly, at least that's what I thought. I have strived to be respectful in my posts and replies, and I expect that back. Thanks.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
WilliamsMama08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My son is almost 14 months and he nurses about the same + night.  I wouldn't force him to.  I feel if they show they are getting ready to be done, let them be done.  jmo.  :)  BTW, what is raw milk?

JenStein
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:06 AM

raw milk is unpasteurized and non-homogenized. It's MUCH better for you than the store-bought milk, which actually really isn't even good for you at all.

For more info: visit http://www.realmilk.com/

WilliamsMama08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

So there could be harmful bacteria floating around in it.... ok

Quoting JenStein:

raw milk is unpasteurized and non-homogenized. It's MUCH better for you than the store-bought milk, which actually really isn't even good for you at all.

For more info: visit http://www.realmilk.com/

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:16 AM

He's getting older, ma. He doesn't need to nurse and nurse and nurse. He isn't weaning per say, he just doesn't need it as much. 3-4 times a day is totally normal for that age. Just keep nursing on demand. You'll make whatever he needs. As for the milk, what kind of raw milk are you talking? Human, cow, goat? Maybe try pasturized, or a different kind. When you aren't home, dad can sit him down at the table or whatever and feed him a cup of milk with his solids, just like an adult would have, and he won't be needing much milk. Heck, if he's nursing 3-4 times a day he doesn't even really NEED the extra milk.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (14m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

JenStein
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Thanks. I figured he didn't need the extra milk, but I'm wondering, once he's done nursing, what should I give him? He honestly won't take any milk I've offered. I've tried it in all sippy cups and forms, even just let him drink it from my glass (with my help of course) and he really isn't interested. Maybe he'll just not be a milk drinker! Which is fine I guess. Oh well, maybe I'll just let it rest for a few weeks, try it again later. Thanks again!

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

He's getting older, ma. He doesn't need to nurse and nurse and nurse. He isn't weaning per say, he just doesn't need it as much. 3-4 times a day is totally normal for that age. Just keep nursing on demand. You'll make whatever he needs. As for the milk, what kind of raw milk are you talking? Human, cow, goat? Maybe try pasturized, or a different kind. When you aren't home, dad can sit him down at the table or whatever and feed him a cup of milk with his solids, just like an adult would have, and he won't be needing much milk. Heck, if he's nursing 3-4 times a day he doesn't even really NEED the extra milk.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:49 PM

My oldest isn't a milk drinker. In order to get dairy in him I'll give him cheese to snack on, or yogurt, or the occasional glass of chocolate milk (he's older though). He hates milk, I've tried all kinds. But I do know he needs some form of calcium, so I find other ways. He mostly just drinks water. 

Quoting JenStein:

Thanks. I figured he didn't need the extra milk, but I'm wondering, once he's done nursing, what should I give him? He honestly won't take any milk I've offered. I've tried it in all sippy cups and forms, even just let him drink it from my glass (with my help of course) and he really isn't interested. Maybe he'll just not be a milk drinker! Which is fine I guess. Oh well, maybe I'll just let it rest for a few weeks, try it again later. Thanks again!

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (14m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)