Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, here's my story

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am a mother of 5.  I have a 9 year old stepdaughter who I have full time, a 7 year old boy, a 2 year old holy terror, and 8 month old twins.  My twins were born 6 weeks early and have been EBF until they were 6 months when I started some cereal (earlier than I ever had before but at the insistance of our pediatrition.) At 6 months we had had a horrible flu at my house (including me) and my babies had lost about 8-10 oz a piece.  The doc found that they were anemic and put them on vitamins and iron drops and they bounced right back with just the breastfeeding.  I DONOT want to give them bottles ATALL, but my doc seems to think they aren't growing nearly fast enough I have started to give them some formula mixed w/ their cereal by spoon. This doesn't seem to be helping, and is just causing alot of gas and hideous diaper explosions.

This is not my first time breastfeeding, I nursed my oldest for 19 months, and my 2nd for 20.  The last time he nursed was the morning my twins were born, poor guy.  I KNOW that my supply is huge, have done the nursing vacations, power pumping, fenungreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal for breakfast, no caffiene...everything but my babies stay small.  Not skin and bone mind you, but not chubby either.  I am not skinny, not dieting, not stressed, not tired..  I am scared that they will be diagnosed with failure to thrive, which I don't know much about...other than if you type in failure to gain weight in your web browser it is what you come up with.  The general concensus in all the articles I have read is that it is an environmental factor or the mother not caring well enough for her kid!!!  Is this why my doctor is being a rip???  Does she think I'm neglecting my children??

None of my kids have been fat, but all of them have thrived from EBF.  Don't know what to do exactly, but any advice other than what I've allready mentioned would be great...And anyone in the same boat or having experienced a similar ordeal..be my friend on Cafe Mom K?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LKRA
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:39 PM

How many dirty diapers do they have in a 24 hour period? Content does not matter.

I trust kellymom. com implicitly. Here's some info on Failure To Thrive:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

Tea4Tas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I. personally would just get a new dr-one who is more knowledgable about breastfed babies.

My ped was a breastfeeding Mom herself. She was awesome.

feloniousbelle
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:47 PM

They are both having 2-3 poops a day.  Not scary either just what looks like breast milk poop mixed with rice cereal lol...and altogether going through about 12-14 diapers aday...these are diapers not pees...so they're going lots x2 lol.

Candi1024
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

What have they been gaining? What does the doctor consider not enough?

feloniousbelle
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I just did the weight gain calculator from Kelly mom...anyway my daughter has gains from birth an average of 2.5 oz a week and my son 3.2 oz a week...that's all the way from 4 lbs (girl) and 5.bs 6oz (boy) to where they are now...does anyone know if 2.5 oz a week is acceptable???

The doc is just upset that they had lost while we were sick and it has taken them a couple months to get back into their growth curve on the charts they use...

Candi1024
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM

They look for 4-6oz a week. But if they lost because they were sick, you look for that gain again from thier lowest point after being sick. They don't really make up what they lost, KWIM?

And after 6 months, many bf babies will show little to no weight gain, because of the increased movement. Let  me go see if I could find something on kellymom.

Heres a link

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

tayers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Breastfed babies tend to slow down at 6 months anyway.  Most docs freak out at this b/c it is not what formula babies do.  Print off a copy of a breastfed chart from kellymom.com.  THere is one for boys and one for girls so you will need both.  Chart their growth and take it to the doc with you.  I bet they are right on their own growth curve.  Remember to follow each babies growth curve not just a general curve.  ALL babies have their own growth rate so as long as they are on their own curve they are fine.  If you want to boost solids than skip the cereal, your breastmilk actually has more calories than cereal does and breastfed babies do no need cereal, its gross anyway.  Most peds just push the cereal b/c that is what they are used to.  Offer babies good fat foods like avacado.  Get a ripe avacado so that is soft and let them eat that.  Its full of all kinds of good fat that is healthy for their brain too.  kellymom.com also has a chart for when to start solids and what you can offer at certain ages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)