Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do now?!?***UPDATE***

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I just found out a week ago that I was pregnant, I thought my milk was drying up so I upped my water and oatmeal and that's helped my supply issue.  Now I have another issue...I think my milk is changing.  I know that it happens and some babies really take issue with it whereas others don't.  Well it seems my DD is one of those who has a real issue with the change in taste.  For the past 3 days she's not nursed well, screamed constantly and hardly slept (since I normally nurse her to sleep).  I know she's hungry because she wants to nurse constantly and as soon as my milk lets down she starts crying and spitting it out like it tastes bad.  She eats solids well (she's 7.5 mo old) but I don't know what to do.  She HATES BOTTLES.  DH got so freaked out yesterday at her lack of nursing that he went out and bought some formula.  Well the s*%t really hit the fan when he offered her that.  Her diaper count has been down for the past 2 days - saturday 4 diapers, sunday 5, since 3 am today 2.  I've tried water, she hates it.  I really need help, I really need sleep since she hasn't sleep more than 30 min. at a time in the past 3 days.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So, I wrote this post 5 days ago and her nursing has got from bad to worse.  She acts like my boobs are filled with acid every time I try and nurse.  She shuns me.  I did break down a couple of days ago and started giving her the formula because she didn't nurse AT ALL FOR 2 DAYS!!!!  She'd eat solids and drink water but nooooo boobie!  It's so sad, I really wanted to BF at least through my 1st trimester.  At least I made it 7.5 months.  All I can say is I can't wait for LO #2 to get here so that I can nurse again! 

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess_alyson
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Anyone????

Bmomma2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I am sooo sorry this sounds like a really hard time for you guys....don't beat your husband up too much...what he did was wrong, but I think he is just trying to do what he beleives is best for his child...can you talk about it with him???  Maybe giving her a little formula in a sippy cup might work??  You say she eats solids??  Why don't you mix it in with some cereal and spoon feed it to her(keep it thin so she is getting the liquids she needs) until you figure out how to get her nursing again.  Meanwhile pump so your supply doesn't get smaller.  Don't forget, formula isn't the most evil thing in the world....good luck!!

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

jenni_michelle
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I'm so sorry, that sounds really frustrating. I'd suggest to keep offering the breast and when she's not taking it I'd highly suggest pumping to keep your supply okay. Have you tried to offer expressed breastmilk in a cup? I'd try anything and everything if i were you. Also go to kellymom.com and lookup nursing strike some of the tips they have for that may help you in this situation. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Stay strong you can get through this!!!

goddess_alyson
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I'd pump if I could but my body doesn't respond to a pump.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM

All you can do is keep offering the breast. There's not any easy way out of this.

You can also try different formulas and a SIPPY CUP. This baby does NOT need a bottle any more. It's gonna be trial and error. So tell dad to buckle up and DEAL.

goddess_alyson
by on Dec. 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

bump for update.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Alyson, you've done very well indeed.

mommawhite08
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM

ahhhhhh, 7.5 months is awesome!  congrats!

NesaGail
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I know it's frustrating! I am sorry "(    I know you are doing what's best though!!!! Maybe she can nurse after baby gets here? My supply has pretty much went away too, I am trying to nurse my ds all that I can in hopes that he makes it though this pregnancy!

mum2boyz
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM

I can tell you the 2 times I was still nursing and got pg, the nurser weaned when I was 3 months pregnant.   Either baby does not mind the change or they hate it!  You did great going almost 8 months! 

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)