Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feel like I'm forcing her to continue. Should I stop?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM
  • 3 Replies

Well we've made it 13 months and I am very happy and proud of that.  I had originally thought that I would wean once she turned a year but decided that it would be in her best interest to continue nursing through the winter and then I would wean in the spring.  I wanted to give her the best defense against cold and flu season.  She's only been nursing first thing in the morning and that's it.  And most of the time she acts like she doesn't even want to nurse then.  I'm only doing it because I want what is best for her but I'm starting to feel as if I'm forcing her to nurse.  Should I just stop?

-Valerie  

Lilypie 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mom71307
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Though children CAN self wean after 12 months, it is unlikely.  Kep offering and see if it gets better.  Also, you can pump and offer it in a cup so she is still getting the nutrients and antibodies.  AND, she might be doing more of a strike than anything and if you keep your supply, she might be more interested in a week or so. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
LKRA
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Bah. You're not forcing her. Trust me, if she DIDN'T want to nurse, you'd be the first to know. :)

Weaning starts the moment solids are introduced. Just keep nursing her when she wants, and she may go for another year, nursing only in the mornings. :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Let her do as SHE will. Don't offer, don't refuse.

In other words...YOU do NOTHING. OK?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)