Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can BF affect your luteal phase ???

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

I need help, I gave birth to my 6th baby in May , I ovulated for the first time in Oct. 10 days later got my period. Did not O again until well over a month later, well it has only been around 11-12 days since I O & my period is here already. My ? is does BF affect your Luteal phase ? I have BF  my last 3 children, besides my baby who is # 4 to BF & I never had this problem with them. I want to have another child & I know it is hard to concieve when you have a short luteal phase. The funny thing is before I got pregnant with my baby I had like 16-17 days luteal phase so it was too long & now it is too short :( Help... any advise would be appreciated :) I do turn 40 tommorrow... do you think it is my age :( I hope not :(

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bren07
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM

a LP of 10 or less days is too short over 10 is usually fine..i have no idea if BF can affect LP. but u can try talking to ur doc about using progesteron cream after u O till u get ur period to try to lengthen ur LP..

HI! im a 20 yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

hopinforanother
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I lost a baby in Feb 2008...I was induced and delivered him at 18 weeks because he died of hydrops fetalis.

Anyway, my milk came in and I continued to leak for many months. When I started charting, I noticed my LP was 10-11 days. Since it was over 10, I thought it was fine, however, I was not getting pregnant. I started taking more folic acid and my LP increased to 12-13 days and I got pregnant after 2 cycles. I wasn't breastfeeding but my LP was short. Although they say an LP of more than 10 days it just fine...I don't think it's the case with everyone.

So anyway, to answer your question...yes BFing can affect your LP and prevent pregnancy.

ShadowLark
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Yes, bf affects your luteal phase!  It's normal!  It's one way bf helps to space out the kids.

It's also temporary.  I'm 12 weeks pg and I was nursing when I got pg.  Only quit a few days ago because I have placenta previa and I'm on full pelvic rest. :(  My daughter nursed for 2 years, 1 month and 2 weeks.

shelly69
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Thankyou ladies,,, I am going to start my folic acid & prenatels again & see if that helps. This is just weird to me because with my other BF babies once I started getting my period again I had no issues, so this is a new one for me... I think I am paranoid too because of my age... :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)