• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had to stop BF ...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

I dont know what to do...I have the gassiest baby in the world. He is miserable all the time. I burp him frequently and have cut out everything gassy out of my diet. I just dont know what to do. He has acid reflux and takes medicine for that but he is still gassy and miserable. Nothing works. I have tried gas drops, gripe water...anything people tell me to do NOTHING works. Someone suggested that I quit BFing him that it might help his tummy so I am curious if anyone else has delt with this ...I just dont know what to do anymore.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeanneC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Have you tried dairy/soy elimination?   Not everyone thinks of those as gas causing foods, but they can cause gas and reflux.

kellyv22
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Try colic calm.  It is gripe water, but FDA approved and MUCH better than the stuff you buy at the drugstore.  It is only available online at www.coliccalm.com  I dont think stopping BF is the solution here.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.  ~~Dr. Suess

MCEmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM

yes I have cut all dairy and soy as well.

LeanneC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Quoting MCEmommy:

All sources, including baked goods... butter, crackers, etc? 

And for how long?  It can take 3-6 weeks to see results after eliminating those foods.

The next step is a full elimination.  You eat only 4 foods (turkey, sweet potato, rice and pears) and when his symptoms improve, start adding foods back and watch for any reactions. 

Some babies are just gassy though... and formula won't make it any better.  Likely you'd still have the gas, PLUS constipation.

MCEmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Quoting LeanneC:

Quoting MCEmommy:

All sources, including baked goods... butter, crackers, etc? 

And for how long?  It can take 3-6 weeks to see results after eliminating those foods.

The next step is a full elimination.  You eat only 4 foods (turkey, sweet potato, rice and pears) and when his symptoms improve, start adding foods back and watch for any reactions. 

Some babies are just gassy though... and formula won't make it any better.  Likely you'd still have the gas, PLUS constipation.

its been about 4 weeks. ..Maybe I should try the full elimination.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Have you checked into overactive letdown? It's the most common cause of gassiness in babies...symptoms and coping strategies on kellymom.com...look fopr "fast letdown" on the site.

April282008
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Have you checked into overactive letdown? It's the most common cause of gassiness in babies...symptoms and coping strategies on kellymom.com...look fopr "fast letdown" on the site.

This is what I was going to say.  I have a gassy baby too and I just figured out that I have over active letdown.  There are other symptoms too, but gassiness is one of them.  I started feeding her while I was laying down, burping her more often, and pumping (or hand expressing) a little milk before I fed her... it's only been a few days, but it seems to be getting better already.  You should check into it.  Formula might make the gassiness worse.  Good luck.  I hope your little man gets some relief soon.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM

is this you??

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Is forceful let-down the problem?

Does your baby do any of these things?

If some of this sounds familiar to you, you probably have a forceful let-down. This is often associated with too much milk (oversupply). Some mothers notice that the problems with fast letdown or oversupply don't start until 3-6 weeks of age. Forceful let-down runs the gamut from a minor inconvenience to a major problem, depending upon how severe it is and how it affects the nursing relationship.

MCEmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Thanks ladies for all the help...hopefully something works soon

ktclick
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I had this same problem with my DS. I thought about stopping too. I was so desperate and exhausted after 3+ months of screaming and unpredictable gas attacks.

I found out, though, the biggest problem was that he is highly allergic to soy (which is in almost ALL formulas). He is also sensitive to corn, gluten and peanuts (a legume, like soybeans). I eliminated all foods except chicken, rice, lettuce, cheese (we eliminated dairy as a source of gas at 2 months) almonds (which are a staple in my diet now) and non-gassy fruits and vegetables (like pears, apples, peppers, carrots, etc) from my diet. Eventually, I started adding in questionable foods one at a time to see if they were truly a problem. Corn and soy are the biggest culprits (I had a handful of popcorn at the movies yesterday and we are up tonight with a gas attack) and I am still trying to figure out if gluten is a problem. The biggest culprit has been soy, which is in just about everything. It takes me so much time to shop because I read the labels on everything (not just the bold print that says, "Contains soy, dairy, etc" because not everything is properly labeled!)

The good news is that I've lost almost 30 lbs and am still losing though I eat constantly. I bought my first pair of skinny jeans a month ago and now they're too big! Oh, yeah, and my son turned into the happiest, easiest baby I've ever seen!

Does your son have trouble with BMs? My son has always had issues in that arena.  If so, try adding an infant probiotic to water mixed with a small amount of pear juice to see if that helps with his bowel movements.

We also switched to Dr. Brown's bottles.

A trick I learned when my son has a gas attack is that gas drops DO seem to work for him, though I have to give them every few hours. Another thing that works for him is drinking water mixed with juice. It seems to help him pass a lot of gas. Putting him on his back with his butt propped on a pillow, then bicycling his legs helps a bit if he's not mad I'm not holding him. Also, firmly, but gently drawing a backward C downward on the left side of his belly pushes some of the gas down and out.

Good luck and send me a message if you need more ideas. I've tried 'em all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)