Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those mom's who bottlefeed breastmilk while at work

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

How much ounces does your LO eat, age, and how often

My son is 11 weeks old and eats 2.5 ounces every two hours at daycare. I feel this might not be enough.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LeanneC
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM

You want about an oz an hour... so, he's doing perfect.   And growth spurts aside, he should continue taking in the same amount throughout the first year.

Your pump amount is also above average.  Average is .5-2oz per session.  At 3-3.5, you're responding well to the pump.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

He needs one to one and a half ounces per hour of separation. And that amount will NEVER change, no matter what the age...breastmilk changes to suit his needs so more isn't needed..

The ONLY indication of not getting enough is a drop in dipes. Nothing else. Are you seeing that? If not, you can worry about something else. **grin**

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Thats perfect...my son reverse cycled so he took less than the norm, but the norm is 1-1.25 oz an hour...so every 2 hours would be 2-2.5 oz a bottle..if he spaces out to 3 hours then 3-3.75 oz bottles...totals for the day never change really but if feedings are less often amounts per feeding can go up

CuriousNGL
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:25 AM

That's perfect. My son takes 1-1.5 oz for every hour I'm gone. I can usually keep up with him with my pumping at work (i.e. I can replace what he eats while I'm gone), but when I'm on my period or when I'm ovulating, I have a harder time replacing what he eats while I'm gone, so I pump at home too.

Open-minded, breastfeeding, instinctive parenting, homebirthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, delayed vaccinating part-time RN, full-time "go-with-the-flow" mama to Avery (6 months) and wife to Michael.

Candi1024
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM

My dd is 7 months, and eats 3 - 3oz bottles of milk over the 10 hours I am gone. When she is having a growth spurt, it goes up to 4-3oz bottles over 10 hours. And no solids yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)