• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tabasco Weaning (No bashing please!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM
  • 28 Replies

First, just know that my daughter turns 2 years old on Christmas day.  I do feel very happy that I made it this far, especially since I have been tandem nursing her with my now 7.5 month old son!  I nursed her (very often, daily) throughout my entire pregnancy and currently still do!  She actually nurses far more than my infant son. haha  She is a comfort nurser who has been resilient in all forms of weaning besides "cold turkey" (which I am totally against for US).

All of this being said, I was recommended the "Tabasco" method.  For months I was against trying it because I thought it wouldnt work for us, but now we are coming up very close to her 2 year mark and I decided to give it a shot today.  She tried to nurse four times and each time I would put a drop or two on my nipple (rubbing it in) and she would go "ewww yucky" and get down and run off to find her juice.  She never showed tummy issues or anything.  I felt accomplished like we finally found a method for us that wasnt emotionally tramatizing to her but then tonight rolled around.  I ran to Walmart to get some new healthy snacks for her to eat in substitution for nursing and I came home to her having a low grade fever and wanting to go to sleep!  Am I just being paranoid, or is this caused by the Tabasco possibly?  It is the cold and flu season, but she doesnt sound like she's got a cold coming on.

I guess I'm just looking for some input on the method!  I kind of want to cry because I never would have done this had I thought she would get sick from it =(  I thought it was just making my nipple spicy on her little tongue.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brittney_OREGON
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM

i would say cold coming on.... they sneak up on kids fast.... your lucky though i tried that with dd and thumb sucking and she loved it!! congrats mama on making it so far

WilliamsMama08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I don't think in any way it would cause her to feel sick.  I do have to mention though that when you mentioned going out to get her healthy snacks in substitute nursing, it made me giggle a little... like a little addict...

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM

>> She is a comfort nurser who has been resilient in all forms of weaning besides "cold turkey" (which I am totally against for US). All of this being said, I was recommended the "Tabasco" method. <<

I honestly don't see the difference between what you've done and cold turkey. That's not bashing...that's me not understanding....you're still cutting baby off fast, which is what cold turkey is. At least in this case you won't feel the engorgement!

She may indeed be reacting to the tabasco. Ever seen video of guys sweating while eating hot stuff? That's a fact...the capsaicin raises temperatures. Although...I would expect her to have had the reaction immediately.

Still...I would take no more chances...and no more advice from the person who told you to try it. And no more worrying about causing her emotional trauma.You do know your entire mission is to cause emotional trauma by denying her things, don't you? **wink**

Feel free to say no. It's going to be the word you use more often in the next couple of years...may as well get started. "No, we cannot nurse now. These are for your brother. You're a big girl now."

You'll both survive it. Really!

ILoveMyFam
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:09 PM

That's awful.  I'm sorry! But my first reaction - YOU are the boss, weaning's only unsuccessful if you let it be.  You need to learn to put your foot down sooner rather than later, you can't be pouring tobasco on everything you don't want them doing...haha.

Melinda32
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I don't think there's a reaction to the tabasco sauce personally.  In response to doing that however I wouldn't.  Yes it worked today and would probably continue to work since kids don't tend to like spicy stuff but it is hard on their tummy's.  Even the smallest amount can have me up all night with heartburn sometimes lol.  Have you tried cutting out feedings?  Making her wait a few more min? Telling her that at X time she can nurse.  Show her a digital clock and tell her say 1:00 she can nurse.  Obviously use language that she can understand "when the clock says one zero zero"  Kids are pretty smart and it'll help her feel like a big girl to tell time. 

HTH!

mum2boyz
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I don't think it's the tabasco, sounds like maybe a little cold coming on.  This is going cold turkey for her, maybe not for you.  Just a thought, maybe cutting down to just a couple times a day to start the weaning process?

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

Miss_ambies
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I have done this several times (cut out feedings).  Then she gets sick (like she is now...it definitely is a cold) and it messes the whole process up.  Also though, she's never had a schedule.  Just nurses on demand.

I know that it is like going cold turkey, but at least it is HER saying that she doesnt want it anymore versus ME, KWIM?  That's the concept behind it anyways.  That she thinks something has gone wrong with it therefor she gives it up.  If I go cold turkey in general and leave for a few days or just constantly tell her no, then it may potentially cause her to resent me.  Especially since I am tandem nursing.

That is the difference here.  I am weaning her but still nursing her baby brother.  There is more at stake here emotionally.  She may grow to resent her brother AND me, or just one of us, depending on how I go about this.

That is why I asked for no bashing.  I understand it is a form of cold turkey.  I am just at a loss on what to do anymore =(  It is draining me but I would rather it do that than upset her.  I do not want her to suffer emotionally in all of this.  Call me a sappy mother, whatever, I dont care.  And no I will not pour tabasco on everything she wants in the future.  This is a difficult issue.

Thank you for all of the input on this, truely I do appreciate it.  And I did stop it immediately with writing this post =)

Quoting mum2boyz:

I don't think it's the tabasco, sounds like maybe a little cold coming on.  This is going cold turkey for her, maybe not for you.  Just a thought, maybe cutting down to just a couple times a day to start the weaning process?

piwife
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM

NOT BF BUT BINKIE RELATED, I TRY USING HOT SAUCE TO WANT DD OF THE BINKIE AND HSE ACTULALY LIKED HOT SAUCE.

i am a sahm and not loving it that much, prolife,progay marriage, immigration supported, gun supporter, feed your baby what you want, erf,spanking non cio, coseeping kinda of mom in love with a u.s marine.
luvbeingmama
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

maybe try pickle juice instead of tobasco...unless she likes pickle juice lol

Bmomma2
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I don't think her fever has anything to do with the tobasco...but how do you do this tabasco for her, but not for the 7 month old??  I would be worried that he'll taste it too...even if you wash.

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)