Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can it be anything other than mastitis?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM
  • 5 Replies

Just curious, I made a post Sat really early about pain I was having under my  nipple.  The person rec I call my doc since it could be mastitis.  I did and they prescribed antibiotics.

Well I have been taking them since Sat at lunch and the symptoms I had Sat morning had gone away until last night and then after pumping and nursing went away and now they are back.

Both nights it was about an hour after nursing on that side.  Then I pumped.  Last night it went away after pumping.  Tonight it is still there.

It is like a stabbing pain under my nipple or a burning sensation.  It seems to come in waves as far as the intensity.

The reason I ask if it could be something else is I was reading online and it said that symptoms should be eliminated somewhat quickly within 48 hours of starting antibiotics.  The other odd thing is I have no redness, fever or hardness.

Just curious.  I think I'll be calling the doc in the am.

Jenn(32)Steve(35)Becca(18)Audrey 10-11-06, and Trent 2-21-09.

"It's not the amount of years in your life...It's the amount of life in your years!

baby boy

baby

baby

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Daynaof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM
expectingmomof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:02 PM

The dr told me generally when there is burning it is yeast! Antibiotics can make it worse so you may need to go in and get seen. My dr would never call in meds until after seeing me for this reason...I had yeast infections soooo many times in one breast and mastitis 3 times.

Michelle-breastfeeding, co-sleeping, anti-spanking, anti-alcohol, anti-tobacco, happily remarried, stay at home mom of 4 girls!
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
jonesrdh
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Quoting expectingmomof3:

The dr told me generally when there is burning it is yeast! Antibiotics can make it worse so you may need to go in and get seen. My dr would never call in meds until after seeing me for this reason...I had yeast infections soooo many times in one breast and mastitis 3 times.

thanks.  I'll call them today.  The weird part is there is no change in the appearance of my breast.

Jenn(32)Steve(35)Becca(18)Audrey 10-11-06, and Trent 2-21-09.

"It's not the amount of years in your life...It's the amount of life in your years!

baby boy

baby

baby

vances_mom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM
I read that there was no change in the appearance of your breast, but have you noticed any nipple color change while the pain is there? I was having pain in my nipple and it would radiate deep and up inside my breast. I looked it up and it's a vasospasm. My nipple turns white from the lack of blood flow and it hurts/burns. I read that it's from a poor latch, but her latch seems fine to me. It doesn't hurt when she nurses and she's gaining weight pretty well. I think my problem is from surgery on my breasts and there's just a blood flow problem. But I digress...anyway, maybe it's a vasospasm caused by a latch issue??? Just a thought.
mum2boyz
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM

It sounds like thrush to me.  I've been battling it forever now!  I think it's only lasting so long for me because I've had it for so long and didn't realize it.  antibotics will only make it worse so give your dr or mw a call! 

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)