Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottle feeding

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM
  • 15 Replies

I've read many of you say that a baby should drink 1- 1.5oz per hour between feedings.  What if your baby wants more?  Mine drink more than that before bed even though it's only been 3 hours since their last feeding.  Did I do something wrong?  (they nurse during the day but get one pumped bottle before bed)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:40 PM

What they NEED and what they will TAKE are 2 different things.  You don't need a full tub of ice cream but sometimes you WANT it...

Babies will overfeed from the bottle especially when used to the breast.  If its been 3 hours since they last fed give 3-3.75 oz bottles...its up to you to make sure they  are not overfed because they WILL overfeed from bottles.  Pace feeding, burp 1/2 way through, and slow flow nipples.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Yep, that's all babies NEED. Babies that are bottle fed tend to be on the heavier side because 1.25oz doesn't seem like A LOT and babies have a NEED to suckle so they'll suck, not because they're hungry...but because a bottle is what is in front of them and they want to suck.

Breastfed babies fed on demand and fed from the breast only can get both with only getting as much milk as they need....because a baby can suckle at the breast and get no milk out. They eat what they NEED and suckle what the WANT. If that makes any sense.

I wouldn't say you're doing anything WRONG, but typically, breastfed babies ONLY need 1-1.25oz per hour.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby-wearing, ERFing (and will be EHing), solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 17 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student (graduating summer 2010!), gay rights supporting, Silverchair loving, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

"Stop trying to explain yourself....I'm not some over-sensitive hyperhormoned twatwaffle on CM" -Robyn

mimi0884
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I didn't know this.  I meant to do more reading about bf but the babies came early and who has time to read when you have newborn twins!  I think they are used to the big bottles now... what should I do?

Daynaof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Quoting mimi0884:

I didn't know this.  I meant to do more reading about bf but the babies came early and who has time to read when you have newborn twins!  I think they are used to the big bottles now... what should I do?

How much are you offering by bottle? Also wondering why the bottle at night?

butterflyblu
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I guess that makes sense that a bottle fed baby may take more than what they need but that's never been the case for either of my kids.  My oldest was bottle fed and never took more than 1-1.5 oz per hour.  I know other moms would say their babies would down an 8 oz bottle but he never did.  I'm giving my new baby some pumped BM and supplementing with some formula due to low milk supply and other issues and he takes on average 3 oz every 3 hours.  If he doesn't want anymore, he won't take it whether it's the bottle or breast.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Quoting mimi0884:

You can trim them slowly. But really? If you are there I would NOT give bottles at all. It can have a long term detrimental effect on supply....with twins you need to cut yourself every break you can and NOT choose things that can make life harder. If you need to skip out on something, make it housework. **grin**

aenima49
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I agree with all of the above posters!  My little guy refuses bottles now, but at one point he did take one and down 9 oz!!  That was in a breastflow bottle too.

preacherskid
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM

DD used to get bottles at sitters while I worked and dh recovered from surgery; until I absolutely put my foot down, she would go through 8-10 oz in maybe five hours.  They always said, "she was acting hungry so I just gave her more"  That was always from slow flow nipples.  She didn't need it; at home she could go 3 hours on 3 oz and not even act fussy.  She just wanted something to suck, why they never used the pacis we sent I don't know.

Quoting aenima49:

I agree with all of the above posters!  My little guy refuses bottles now, but at one point he did take one and down 9 oz!!  That was in a breastflow bottle too.

mimi0884
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM

We did bottles in the beginning some because we supplimented.  I had a hard time with sleep deprivation and trying to nurse 2.  New mom, didn't really know better, wasn't well educated, blah blah!    I cut them all out except for that evening feeding.  Guess I never really thought much about it-  DH could feed one and I could feed the other because by the evening they are cranky and tired and ready for bed.  They "seemed" hungry so we just added more to the bottles.  I guess I just didn't know any better and the dr didn't say any different.  I always pump before I go to bed then and get 10-12oz total which covers that feeding.  Guess I was wrong! 

Daynaof3
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Quoting mimi0884:

We did bottles in the beginning some because we supplimented.  I had a hard time with sleep deprivation and trying to nurse 2.  New mom, didn't really know better, wasn't well educated, blah blah!    I cut them all out except for that evening feeding.  Guess I never really thought much about it-  DH could feed one and I could feed the other because by the evening they are cranky and tired and ready for bed.  They "seemed" hungry so we just added more to the bottles.  I guess I just didn't know any better and the dr didn't say any different.  I always pump before I go to bed then and get 10-12oz total which covers that feeding.  Guess I was wrong! 

You will come to find that most doctors cannot be trusted for information or advice about breastfeeding. I would save the bottles for times when you are feeling like you need a break and keep them few and far between. I understand how stressful it can be nursing twins, I have been there too. I remember one night I was so sick and one of my girls was very fussy. I gave her to her grandma(we were living there at the time) because I just couldn't do it and if I did I was going to probably throw up lol. If you don't really have to give a bottle(ie work or school or outing) then I would just nurse them. Why make more work for yourself when you don't have too, kwim?

Great job with those little ones, it is tough in the beginning with two. Figuring out how to manange feeding both and burping both. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you have cut out the formula supplements and have them completely on breastmilk! Congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)