Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this sufficient weight gain? im a little worried.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my son was born on november 3rd. which would make him 6 weeks tomorrow. he weighed 7 pounds at birth and only lost half an ounce when we left. well he was weighed again today by a nurse, pediatrician wasnt in but they wanted another weight check, and he was only 8.8? isnt that a very little gain? i mean the nurse seemed a little concerned.. but he eats very well and has good diaper counts but just is hardly gaining any weight. is his normal? or should i supplement? i feed him every 2 hours around the clock even if he is asleep. i let him nurse as long as he needs and if he is bottle fed he gets 3-3.25 oz. whats going on here? i feel like im doing something wrong.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Daynaof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I am willing to bet that the lowest weight was lower than 6lbs 15.5oz. but even without any loss your baby has gained a pound and a half in 6 weeks making that a 4 oz. a week gain. Spot on, you look for 4-6 oz a week. No need to supplement, just keep doing what you're doing! =)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Quoting Debbieplus1:

So my son was born on november 3rd. which would make him 6 weeks tomorrow. he weighed 7 pounds at birth and only lost half an ounce when we left.
bet he lost more though, 10% is normal and that would be down to 6lbs 5 oz
well he was weighed again today by a nurse, pediatrician wasnt in but they wanted another weight check, and he was only 8.8?
from birthweight that would be 4 oz a week from what lowest was most likely thats 7 oz a week...both of which are perfect
isnt that a very little gain? i mean the nurse seemed a little concerned..
nurses are not LCs and have no idea bout BF babies
but he eats very well and has good diaper counts but just is hardly gaining any weight.
he gained perfect weight
is his normal? or should i supplement?
there are tons of answers before supplimenting unless baby is getting too few diapers and seriously losing weight
i feed him every 2 hours around the clock even if he is asleep
perfect...in fact waking him to feed may not be needed
. i let him nurse as long as he needs and if he is bottle fed he gets 3-3.25 oz. whats going on here? i feel like im doing something wrong.

no what you are doing wrong is expecting HUGE weight gains instead of normal...he is FINE

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain-calculator.html

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM
Quoting Debbieplus1:

So my son was born on november 3rd. which would make him 6 weeks tomorrow. he weighed 7 pounds at birth and only lost half an ounce when we left.
Discharge weight is usually nowhere near lowest. They lose up to ten percent in week one. Birth weight was 112 ounces, so lowest weight would be about 100 ounces....six pounds four ounces.
well he was weighed again today by a nurse, pediatrician wasnt in but they wanted another weight check, and he was only 8.8?
WHOA! That's HUGE gain! Pound to a pound and a half a month is what we look for...he packed on more than TWO. Overacheiver. No need to worry here.
isnt that a very little gain? i mean the nurse seemed a little concerned.. but he eats very well and has good diaper counts but just is hardly gaining any weight.
He;s gaining loads of weight. You're working from incorrect assumptions. Pound to a pound and a half a month. Even from birth weight that's TREMENDOUS gain. Docs and nurses are NOT ood resources on feeding your baby. They want infants to gain too much, then they complain when those infants grow into fat kids. Pound to a pound and a half per month...all you ever need to see, even when baby is older.
is his normal? or should i supplement?
Yes, and no. You are NEVER to look at his weight again UNLESS dipes and milestones are out of place. Please google "Look at the Baby, not the Scale." It will reassure you remendously. Weight is a minor minor marker that doesn't even need to be looked at unless dipes and milestones are NOT in place.
i feed him every 2 hours around the clock even if he is asleep.
No wonder he gained more than average. Let him sleep, and sleep yourself. And TOSS YOUR CLOCKS. No feeding on schedule. Feed when HE wants to eat. You live in the land without time.
i let him nurse as long as he needs and if he is bottle fed he gets 3-3.25 oz. whats going on here? i feel like im doing something wrong.
You are. You're worrying about something that's not broken! Feed on demand, let him sleep as much as he wants and STOP looking at his weight because it's DANDY.
mum2boyz
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM

That's a GREAT weight gain!!  WTG momma and baby!!!  WOW!!!!  (either look for a new dr that's all for BF and understands weight gain in general, or learn to ignore them... JMHO)

in love5/24/02  Our family family in the van

My waterbabies ds1- 2/21/03smile big ds2- 9/27/04devlish ds3-6/16/07monkey My home waterbirth dd- 4/16/09smile mini

bmwmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM

The other ladies are right! Great weight gain and throw your woories out the window!! If your doc is concerned, find a new one. My son was 8lbs at birth and at his 6 month check up he was only 13lbs 8oz.....which (according to the nurse) put him in the 1st percentile. Everyone says how small he is and other babies his age and younger are much heavier. I was worried about what his doc might say (even though I knew he was fine because he has plenty of dirty and wet dipes) but his doc was amazing. Said he is gaining slowly but IS gaining and thats all that matters. and that was it :)

asimonmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

These ladies are right...Your little one is doing fine!  My little man was always very small and still is but I knew he was eating and filling those diapers.  The ped. asked me at every checkup how much he was eating and how long, etc.   They didn't stop asking until his 18 month check up...he is still "underweight" according to them but he is also a very healthy, active little boy.  Some babies just don't gain like others.  Now my 2month old daughter is a chubby little baby...you just never know. 

Your doing a great job and I would do some reading and research with LLL before I started supplementing.

asimonmom

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

well I feel better too! I was thinking the same thing about weight gain! My dd was born 8.2 was 7.11 at discharge (2 days later) but I'm sure she dropped more because my milk didn't come in til the 5th day , I weighed her at 5 weeks, and she was 10.4 So..I guess she's right on track! :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Ready for Christmas? Go here  to get started!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)