• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I drink or eat to increase my supply?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter eats every hour during the day and my bbs never seem to fill up. i massage them and drink lots of water and milk. But they always seem droopy and she always seems hungry. During the night is a different story. She wakes every 4 hours so my boobs are leaking and full. But during the day an hour in between feeding doesnt cut it.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ready_for2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM

take fenugreek. its and herb (i think) and it comes in capsules beer also works wonders!! but since its not an all the time problem, and you only need help during the day and feeding every hour, then you couldnt do it bc your system wouldnt have time for the alcohol to get out before you were bfing again.

kelli0585
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM

As long as baby gets 6 to 8 wet diapers a day, she's doing fine.

I only thought my boobs weren't filling up.  They were all along, just not always engorged, like I expected them to be.  The diapers are the ONLY way of knowing baby is getting enough.

BUUUUTTTT. . .  I would recommend Fenugreek capsules.  They worked like a charm for me.  Forget the instructions on the bottle.  Take 9 to 12 of those bad boys a day with food.  4 at a time.  You'll smell like maple syrup, but your supply will increase significantly.  Even better when you pump or nurse often.

How old is your daughter?  Breastfeeding isn't the easiest for most people.  An hour is about right for many new babies.  Throw out your clock (most people on this group will tell you this).  You're on baby's time now.  She'll get much better as she gets older.  Mine didn't get into at least a pseudo "normal" schedule until 3 1/2 months!

kkile15
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM

i had to start taking fenugreek and it DOES work!!

MrsDiaperduty
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM

She's 17 days and gets about those wet diapers and poop diapers or more a day. thats the only thing thats easing my mind. But another thing is that she only nurses for about half an hour total. She falls asleep and I try to keep her awake but nope.

karischub
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Yep, fenugreek works wonders. I also ate a lot of oatmeal. It's supposed to help with supply. And Mother's Milk Tea.

kelli0585
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Ooohh, lordy.  She's still so young!

Again, throw away that clock!  She's doing everything normal and everything perfect.

Guess what?

At 17 days old, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.  You're gonna be nursing 'round the clock for a little while.  Sometimes for an hour at a time, and sometimes for 5 minutes.  Sometimes for an hour, with a 15 minute break, and then again for another hour.  She's still teaching your boobs to regulate your milk. 

I can't reiterate enough how natural all this is.

DO NOT be tempted to give her formula. 

AND BY ALL MEANS:  Keep posting with this group!  Any and all questions!  It's what got me through all the naysayers.

Quoting MrsDiaperduty:

She's 17 days and gets about those wet diapers and poop diapers or more a day. thats the only thing thats easing my mind. But another thing is that she only nurses for about half an hour total. She falls asleep and I try to keep her awake but nope.

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I agree with everything Kelli has said. No need to worry about supply Momma, this is totally normal, but it will get better! I promise! The first six weeks are the most trying, but after that it is so much easier, and easier than bottlefeeding. Trust me, I have done it both ways, and will never make another bottle as long as I live!

Quoting kelli0585:

Ooohh, lordy.  She's still so young!

Again, throw away that clock!  She's doing everything normal and everything perfect.

Guess what?

At 17 days old, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.  You're gonna be nursing 'round the clock for a little while.  Sometimes for an hour at a time, and sometimes for 5 minutes.  Sometimes for an hour, with a 15 minute break, and then again for another hour.  She's still teaching your boobs to regulate your milk. 

I can't reiterate enough how natural all this is.

DO NOT be tempted to give her formula. 

AND BY ALL MEANS:  Keep posting with this group!  Any and all questions!  It's what got me through all the naysayers.

Quoting MrsDiaperduty:

I am Andi. I am a 21 year old breastfeeding, baby in sling, cloth diapering momma of two. I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, hoping to become an IBCLC. Ask me about my Momma-Made cloth diapers, CD'ing accessories and baby slings!

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I agree with Kelli too! You are doing FINE! Everything you've described is 100% normal. It's totally normal for newborns to nurse all the time.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM

You don't need to take a THING. Moms are popping fenugreek like candy...and it won't change baby's behavior.

At this age, she's acting exactly as she should and your breasts are PERFECT. They're not supposed ot engorge...that's a bad thing. And we bond with babies so we don't eat them when they're pains in the butt...which is what they are more often than not. (Whoever called them bundles of joy never had one...they're the exact OPPOSITE for anyone who lives with one!)

Relax. Feed on demand. Count dipes. 6-8 changes a day means supply is GREAT and galactagogues won't do a thing for you.

go_romanovs
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

(Whoever called them bundles of joy never had one...they're the exact OPPOSITE for anyone who lives with one!)

I dunno, after just one baby I'd totally agree with you, but with the other two I learned to accept them as they are and enjoy them! Learning to nurse on the go in a sling helped a lot too :)

I make slings, what's your superpower?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)