Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

water and milk production?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does the amount of milk you produce depend on how much water you drink? I know that a lot of it is up to the baby and the more they nurse the more you will produce, I just wonder cause somedays I don't think I drink as much water as I should.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Pckles42503
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM

I think fluid intake is a big part of how much milk you will produce.  You have to keep hydrated, if you get thirsty than you are already starting to get dehydrated and should be drinking more.  I used to keep a bottle of water with me at all times..i usually left them at the different places around the house he would nurse.  Good luck!

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Water is the raw material. Not drinking enough water is like asking your body to make bricks with too little straw.

Get your 64 ounces liquid daily. LIQUID...whatever kind.

FireworksMama
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Pckles42503:

I think fluid intake is a big part of how much milk you will produce.  You have to keep hydrated, if you get thirsty than you are already starting to get dehydrated and should be drinking more.  I used to keep a bottle of water with me at all times..i usually left them at the different places around the house he would nurse.  Good luck!

That's the way to do it - I leave water all over the house, but that's really because I forget it, so I drink it when I go back to that area! I notice a big difference in milk production based on how much I drink. I never have an issue with not enough milk, but when I drink a lot more than usual I leak constantly. For someone who has issues with milk production, this is something to keep in mind. It's also important for your body to be hydrated, always, but especially when nursing.

dragonfly030702
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I try to make sure that I get at least 60 ounces a day. I leave a big jug (the jug that I got from the hospital when I had him) next to the chair that I feed him in so that I know everytime I feed him, to drink water. I see a big difference in my milk supply if I don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)