Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this true??

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

we went to my sons 1 month check up and he's gained 2 1/2 pounds scince birth, and grown 2 inches, so no growth issues. but the pedi put him on daily vitamins because she said "breastmilk dosent have enough iron or vitamin D" really is that true?? it dosent sound right to me. 

also is 2 1/2 pounds a good weight gian or what?? lol my dd was formula fed (not my choice) and she dident gain that much till 2 months old.and i know weight gain for ff and bf babies is difrent.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celticreverie
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM

we went to my sons 1 month check up and he's gained 2 1/2 pounds scince birth, and grown 2 inches, so no growth issues. but the pedi put him on daily vitamins because she said "breastmilk dosent have enough iron or vitamin D" really is that true?? it dosent sound right to me. 

Breastmilk doesn't contain as much iron because the iron in breastmilk is easily absorbed, unlike formulas that are iron fortified.. Breastmilk doesn't contain vit. d but unless you live in a place with ZERO sun there is absolutely no need to give the baby a vitamin at all, and if so definitely not a multivitamin, just vit. d drops for an infant.

also is 2 1/2 pounds a good weight gian or what?? lol my dd was formula fed (not my choice) and she dident gain that much till 2 months old.and i know weight gain for ff and bf babies is difrent.

2 1/2 lbs is phenominal. It's recommend 1 lb a month by WIC so 2 of them is great!

JT32606
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM

what vitamins drops did they give you?
I got some in the past, and used it a few times, but it caused problems for my son. so i stopped them. Breastmilk is all they need at this age, i dont understand what the doctor is thinking. Its not like they need freaking red meat or anything. but anyway, i got some poly-vitamins, an iron supplement for my son.

its a good weight gain. My son lost weight the first few weeks, which is common for breastfeeding, but once he gained weight, BOY did he gain weight.

I STILL BF my 17 month old son,is that ok?
I have pitbulls and they are terrible, they lick my sons face and cuddle up with him at night.
Im pro military, tattoos, piercings,AND legalizing marijuana

luna08
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Quoting celticreverie:

2 1/2 lbs is phenominal. It's recommend 1 lb a month by WIC so 2 of them is great!

yea wics guidlines are a bit strange though. they said my dd at 4 months was over weight she weighed 13lbs........

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

celticreverie
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM

1 lb a month is just a guideline and a good one :) Less isn't a problem either. WIC is weird though, but they've never said anyhting about my 22 lb 6 month old. Maybe it's just the people you were seeing

Quoting luna08:

Quoting celticreverie:

yea wics guidlines are a bit strange though. they said my dd at 4 months was over weight she weighed 13lbs........

rocklovinggirl
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 5:07 AM

I was also given some vitamin drops... it has 3 different vitamins in them.

ajay1007
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:18 AM

you can get just vit D drops...that is all your breast milk is lacking.  And even though there is sun out it is winter and a good idea to give your baby the supplement.  If you live somewhere that is really warm and you can expose most of their skin to 15 mins of sun a day then you are all set....if not go with the drops!

Iron stores decrease in baby around 6 months...so I wouldn't worry about that until then

Jamie_2284
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:25 AM

My DR told me the same thing, but I am one of those moms that rather got with a natural treatment. So I take my DS on walks everyday or we will play outside (I live in FL so its 85 almost everyday). I never gave my DD then when she was little and she is fine, and so far my 6 month old seems to be fine too

Quoting celticreverie:

Breastmilk doesn't contain as much iron because the iron in breastmilk is easily absorbed, unlike formulas that are iron fortified.. Breastmilk doesn't contain vit. d but unless you live in a place with ZERO sun there is absolutely no need to give the baby a vitamin at all, and if so definitely not a multivitamin, just vit. d drops for an infant.

I'm a proud mommy of two beautiful and amazing kids, 1 girl and 1 boy. I'm married to their amazing daddy and will be for the rest of my life. I proudly exclusively breastfeed our son andyes, I do it in public. I am VERY VERY proud of breastfeeding. I am 100% anti-formula unless its medically necessary. I don't give solids until 9 months at the least. I love baby wearing andCO-sleeping. I don't believe in CIO or spanking. I use disposable diapers, I quit smoking over a year and a half ago and I don't drink. I live my life for my kids and my husband. I would like to have 10 kids. Yes, the TV does make a good babysitter. I love LIFE!!!

celticreverie
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM

no need. you don't have to go outside to get the benefits of vit. d. Just lay the baby in a sunny spot inside. Play near a window. As long as the window doesn't have UV filters the baby will be getting vit. d from the rays of the sun.

the drops are overkill, unless you live in Washington State or Alaska where there's very little sunlight during the winter.

Even at 6 months there may not be an issue with Iron. We've never used vitamins while the girls were nursing and neither of them are iron deficient.

Quoting ajay1007:

you can get just vit D drops...that is all your breast milk is lacking.  And even though there is sun out it is winter and a good idea to give your baby the supplement.  If you live somewhere that is really warm and you can expose most of their skin to 15 mins of sun a day then you are all set....if not go with the drops!

Iron stores decrease in baby around 6 months...so I wouldn't worry about that until then

Jamie_2284
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Hahaha, whats so funny is I was a FF baby and when I am pregnant I am very anemic. Just a little thought

Quoting celticreverie:

no need. you don't have to go outside to get the benefits of vit. d. Just lay the baby in a sunny spot inside. Play near a window. As long as the window doesn't have UV filters the baby will be getting vit. d from the rays of the sun.

the drops are overkill, unless you live in Washington State or Alaska where there's very little sunlight during the winter.

Even at 6 months there may not be an issue with Iron. We've never used vitamins while the girls were nursing and neither of them are iron deficient.

Quoting ajay1007:

I'm a proud stay at home momma to two beautiful and amazing kids, 1 girl and 1 boy. I'm married to their amazing daddy and will be for the rest of my life. I proudly exclusively breastfeed our son andyes, I do it in public. I am VERY VERY proud of breastfeeding. I am 100% anti-formula unless its medically necessary. I don't give solids until 9 months at the least. I love baby wearing andCO-sleeping. I don't believe in CIO or spanking. I use disposable diapers, I quit smoking over a year and a half ago and I don't drink. I live my life for my kids and my husband. I would like to have 10 kids. Yes, the TV does make a good babysitter. 

minimom11107
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:57 AM

This is what my Dr told me. She didn't even mention the vitamins but I asked her b/c WIC told me he needed to be getting a vitamin supplement, which I had never heard of with my old ds who was BFed. The Dr told me to not even worry about giving the vitamins (if I chose to do so) until he was 6 months old. And she only said the Vitamin D drops were necessary.

Quoting ajay1007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)