Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stopping breastfeeding by putting hot sauce or pepper on the nipples WHAT!(piog)

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

SO my hubby family was over my house the other day they noticed that I'm still breastfeeding my son who just turned 1 this week. They said oh no, your still breastfeeding your now 1 year old still, he needs to be drinking from a cup! Try putting hot sauce, or pepper on the nipples then he will stop wanting the breast.  I am upset bcause I am comfortable with it still and my baby isn't ready to get off the breast. Has anyone ever heard of this to stop breastfeeding? I felt that was rude of them.    

by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dasiey
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM

if u are ok with it then so be it i just got done nursing my two yr old i dont care what ppl say about it as long as u are ok with it then that should not worry themsevles with it its ur body and when u feel its time then u will be done its for no one to say anything about keep up the good work

LaughterHugs
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM

can you say OW? omg can't even imagine putting that mouth-burning junk on my nips!

Lilypie - (1IOX)

Lilypie - (RNjD)

Daisypath - (PwPI)

banana-bear
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 9:50 PM

That's really sad. I would never advise anyone to do that. Where they joking about it? Seems crazy that someone would think that was ok. 

piwife
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 10:09 PM

my moms friend did itshe was so tired of bf, her dd was 2, she wnated to quit when her dd was one but her dh is an ass and he would like shuth taht kid up and feed her now. so she bf so her dh would stop yelling. anyways she put hot sauce and guess what her dd like it lol.  and she strated to nurse more. she stop nuring at 3 yrs.

i am a sahm and not loving it that much, prolife,progay marriage, immigration supported, gun supporter, feed your baby what you want, erf,spanking non cio, co-sleeping, photography lover kinda of mom in love with a u.s marine.
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Well, keep nursing if you want. But holy crap that is just a damn cruel way to wean, IMO.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (15m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

mandie1118
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM

if you want to keep nursing or not is your decision not theirs.  but using hot sauce to wean your child is just aweful and cruel! 

Gruntlings
by Sarah on Dec. 26, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Spike their coffee with it the next morning. Coffee is a vice, it's time they grew out of it. And hot pepper is the perfect method. :p

Ignore them. Breastfeed for as long as you and your child desire. It's perfectly acceptable to breastfeed for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. years. There's a lot of biological milestones that happen that encourage the child to wean naturally, and it stays healthy for as long as the child is willing and able to nurse.

In this country, most children that are allowed to wean themselves will wean at 2.5-4 years old.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

jus1jess
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I've heard of it. It's rude that they'd tell you to wean at all. It's even worse that they'd tell you to take a forceful and harsh route to do it. Why take something so good and make it the baby think it's bad to stop??

Jessica~ teen, unmarried, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, gay marriage supporting, pro choice, environmentally friendly, omnivorous but vegan at heart, animal loving, drug free, natural feeding w/out a schedule, public blanketless nursing, child led weaning, delayed/slow solid intro, junk food banning, co sleeping, toddler carrying/wearing, used to cloth diaper, positive potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, natural birth advocating, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet, beautiful girl

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene 

ajzuell
by Member on Dec. 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM

No they were real. They say since he's now 1 i should not be breastfeeding still, he's old enough to drink from a cup now. But the thing is he's not ready to stop all he knows and wants is the breast(he attacks me to get to the breast, pulling my shirt up lol). I gave him a cup today and yesterday(just to see if he would take it) and he plays with it throwing it around. He thinks it's a toy lol.   

Quoting banana-bear:

That's really sad. I would never advise anyone to do that. Where they joking about it? Seems crazy that someone would think that was ok. 

MamaKalila
by on Dec. 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I would have said something about the age thing, becuase I'm very much for self weaning and want my kids to hit 2 years... We went a couple months over that w/ Kalila.  But the hotsauce thing... I have heard of it... I think my main issue is that's not self weaning and like I said, I really prefer that (I know sometimes you have to help things along...)  Beyond that it could be seen as kind of cruel... but... at the same time if anyone had suggested it to me for my daughter I'd have laughed my hind end off because that would not have done a thing to deter her. She likes hot sauce!

smallest_mc Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobuckethttp://www.youravon.com/kmery
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)