Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too much milk and pain?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM
  • 4 Replies

A friend of mine recently had her second son. He is only a few days old. Well with her first she had an oversupply of milk and now with her second its worse. She said she already has 50 ounces in the freezer and another 20 in the fridge. And is in a lot of pain. I was wondering what she could do to decrease her milk supply. I mentioned pumping less.. I never had this issue, lol..quite the opposite actually. 

Edit/Update: Apparently she is only pumping because she is in pain, she is trying to pump less. 

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM

She definitely needs to decrease the pumping and eventually stop pumping altogether if she has no need to store milk. Kellymom has really great suggestions in the article about forceful letdown:  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html 

Tell her to avoid pumping unless she is painfully engorged and when she does to only express just enough to relieve herself. She should not pump to empty the breast, it will make things much worse. Blockfeeding helps as well, and it's outlined in the kellymom article. She can also try chilled cabbage, but she should be careful with it because it can dry up moms supply so she should use it sparingly.

Cmyfantasyworld
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Quoting Daynaof3:

She definitely needs to decrease the pumping and eventually stop pumping altogether if she has no need to store milk. Kellymom has really great suggestions in the article about forceful letdown:  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html 

Tell her to avoid pumping unless she is painfully engorged and when she does to only express just enough to relieve herself. She should not pump to empty the breast, it will make things much worse. Blockfeeding helps as well, and it's outlined in the kellymom article. She can also try chilled cabbage, but she should be careful with it because it can dry up moms supply so she should use it sparingly.

Thank you. 

I guess she is only pumping because of the pain. She has no need to store milk. 

lilydoyle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

i'd tell her not to pump at all; wait to feed the baby until she's sore, and i'd suggest taking a hot shower (as hot as she can stand) right before feeding. the hot water helps the milk to come out faster (so the baby eats more faster) and if she looks at the store they have these hot/cold breast pads that go into the fridge or the microwave. also, if she feeds the baby laying down, that will help lots.

mama02040608
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Yeah, the pumping is just compunding her problems! With my first, I had this problem.  It's very uncomfortable, ooohhh yeahhh...but she needs to lay off the pumping b/c it's making it worse! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)