Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding mom with extreme allergies

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM
  • 2 Replies

I have had horribly severe allergies since early childhood.  My mom breastfed. Now I'm BFing and my son has been on zantac since week 1.  My BIL (who supports BFing) suggested that my extremely limited diet could be the cause.  Anyone know how I can get info about mom's with allergies?  btw, no fish, no seafood, no chicken, no pork,  no turkey, no citrus and very few veggies

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM

I think it's unlikely that your limited diet would be the cause, more likely you have forceful letdown or your baby has his own food allergies. Here are a couple links for you to look at:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html

Just want to say that it's wonderful your mom breastfed you and you are breastfeeding your LO! Just imagine how bad your allergies could have been or his if you had not! Great job and congrats!

LeanneC
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:38 AM

So, your son is on zantac for reflux?  

Short answer... no, your very limited diet won't cause his reflux, UNLESS you substitute your diet with possible allergenic foods... So... like, you replace dairy with soy.  He could be soy intollerant and cause the reflux.

Sometimes reflux is just reflux though and due to an immature esophogus.  Typically, when a mom is nursing, the baby won't react to her diet until between 4-6 weeks... an immediate reaction points to it being an actual physical problem of his. 

To be clear though... you are off dairy?  What about soy?  Eggs?  Most of the high allergens?

When mom suspects something in her diet is causing a problem for baby, she cuts that food from her diet.  Having a limited diet to begin with won't cause any problems for baby, if anything it improves their odds of not having allergies.

Sounds like either it's just in your genetic make-up... or it's a physical thing with him.  Either way, nursing is THE best thing for him.  He'd be much worse off not being breastfed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)