Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

both breast @ a feeding?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM
  • 22 Replies

i just had my baby girl dec 27th and while in the hospital i fed her every 3 hours and about 30-45minutes on each breast. Since we got home however she will nurse on one breast for about 20 minutes and pass out! Should she have both @ one feeding or is the one just fine? She passes out so I'm assuming that means shes full. Usually she will be hungry an hour later. So is all that normal? Is she eating enough? Should i wake her up and make her nurse from both breasts at every feeding?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sharisse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Its important to get her to eat from both. Babies are hard to keep awake while at breast. Try taking a layer of clothing off. That may keep her awake, even if it means nothing but a diaper.. as long as its not to cold.  But if nothing works.. i'd say switch at a half way point in the 20 min she does eat to the other breast.

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:14 AM

There is nothing wrong with doing one breast a feeding. If she is satisfied when she is done then you are doing great! There's also nothing wrong with her wanting to nurse frequently either, it's a good thing. If you are worried count diapers 4-6 wet disposables(6-8 if using cloth) and 2-3 bowel movements a day is what you are looking for. Babies nursing patterns will change from time to time, if she is happy and having good diaper counts you need to change NOTHING! Hope that helps. =)

starburst1680
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:33 AM

I only feed from one side each feeding. I've done it that way since she was born.

Married to my high school sweetheart since June 2008
Diagnosed with PCOS in 2000
Kathryn Grace born 11/16/09

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'm a 20-something, married, vaccinating, separate sleeping, working, exclusive breast feeding, disposable diaper using, blogging, first time mom of a beautiful, healthy baby girl who I love with all my heart!
kmstockwell
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM

It is hard to keep new babies awake while nursing.. it's just so comfy :)   That being said, if you are getting 6-8 wet diapers, it's fine if she only eats from one side.  Do not switch her mid nursing session, let her pull of the breast on her own.  If you take her off early, she isn't going to get as much of the fatty hindmilk, which may affect her growth.  You will be going for the one week checkup soon, right?  You will find out if she is gaining, insteah of losing, so that should put your mind to ease.  Also, unless she was jaundiced, there is no reason to do anything other than feed on demand.  Keep it up mama... You are doing great! 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM

No timing, please...let her nurse side one till she comes off on her own. If she's awake, offer side two. If not, no worries.

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Same here and my son is almost five months now.

Quoting starburst1680:

I only feed from one side each feeding. I've done it that way since she was born.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

April07834
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

My LC told me to feed at one breast each feeding.  This way baby gets the hind milk (has all the fat and calories) the milk baby gets in the beginning is foremilk (like skim milk). If she's nursing for 20 min from one side and sleeping-she may be ok. Just keep tabs on wet diapers (6-8 per day).  And if she's sleeping for a length of time after a feeding, she must be satisfied!  Just listed for her little "heh" gulping side to know she is swallowing. And if she's happy, sleeping, has wet diapers-great job! Offer her the other breast at the next feeding. If you find she feeds from one breast and is wakeful, burp her and top her off with the opposite breast.  Good luck-sounds like you are doing great!

April Lowell, mom inventor of 2 breastfed children
http://www.nursinglight.com/, the only multifunctional light that attaches to clothing making nighttime breastfeeding easier!

Susan0805
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I usually alternate breasts every feeding...unless he's ravenously hungry or unlatches and wiggles around to the other breast on his own...lol (which he does sometimes now that he's older) ...

doublethejoy616
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

This is me too - and he's at 3 months.  Every now and then he'll eat from both, but usully just one.

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting starburst1680:

Photobucket

mammacita9
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Quoting doublethejoy616:

This is me too - and he's at 3 months.  Every now and then he'll eat from both, but usully just one.

Quoting mjimaging:

Quoting starburst1680:

Me too!! My duaghter is only ate from one breast until she was about 13mo...now she is 18mo and will only sometimes switch! You are doing great! Don't worry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)