Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is the second baby easier to bf than the first?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM
  • 23 Replies

I'm pregnant with baby #2, due in May.  I bf my son until he was 23 months.  At the beginning it was extremely hard to get him to latch, it took 30 mins to latch him each time I bf and this lasted for 3 weeks! It was awful to say the least.  I feel like I know so much more about bf now but I'm terrified that I'm going to have to go through that again, especially since I'll have a toddler that I have to take care of.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Delaneysmom07
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I kwym, I went through the exact same thing with my first dd, and I'm happy to say it went much easier from day 1 with the 2nd.  I don't know if it's because I knew so much more, or because she was a better eater (latched on with no problems, and never fell asleep mid-feed like her big sis), but it was a breeze.

I hope it's the same for you.  Congrats on your May baby!

Lilypie

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
lyndallsmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I think having the experience of nursing one already makes for an easier time with #2. I did have lots of problems w/ #2, clogged ducts every other day for the first 6-7 months. We stuck it out and still going strong at 15 months. Every baby is different so just because you had latch problems the first time doesn't mean you will or will not have them again.

Kim

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

Mommy8271120
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM

#2 was easier

mommaslilman06
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM

just remember every child is different. my oldest other than i thought i was loosing supply and supplemented with formula he was still easy to breastfeed till he was one. my youngest on the other hand....3 cases of thrush, cracked nipples, clogged ducts...it hasnt been an easy road but im too stubborn to give up before 2 yrs or hes ready to ween. best of luck to you and congrats on baby!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        PhotobucketPhotobucketbreastfeeding,8 month

ARmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I didn't have  a problem as far as latching goes for any of mine, but they were all different in some way.  The more babies I had, the more comfortable I was with bf.  I usually tell my friends who are just starting to bf 'expect the best, you'll get the best; expect the worst, you'll get the worst.'  99% of the time it's true.
Just expect things will go great, be relaxed and patient. 

hgibsonorc
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

It was sooo much easier for me! I was in this group since the beginning of my pregnancy and learned a lot. And, taking from my first experience breastfeeding my daughter, I anticipated that yes it was going to hurt for a while and that it was normal. I anticipated that my nipples may break and bleed and that I was going to feed him a ton before my milk was established, etc. I also had a homebirth with the second as opposed to a hospital birth with my first. So, I didn't have nurses pushing formula on me. I'm happy to report that it was so much easier and enjoyable with the 2nd.

julieobug
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

100% EASIER!!! Thank god because I don't know that I could have done it all again....I would have done my very best but I had such a hard time with Syler but Remmy latched right away and only had alittle bit of gassiness for the first couple weeks....and I have hard let down other then that baby number 2 is so much easier that and you are more experienced.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

babies

baby

ELFs_Mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

For me, the second was deffinately easier to BF.  My oldest took six weeks to figgure out the latch.  My second went straight to breast when she was born.  The only issue we've had was the day my milk came in, because even pumping right before, I couldn't get the breast soft enough for her to latch.

Mom71307
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM

It has been 10 times easier and much less painful for me!  I had a hard time with my daughter... lots of pain, constant nursing, mastisis, etc.  With my son, I have had NONE of it!  He is good nursing every 2-3 hours and some cluster nursing in the evening but nothing like my daughter did.  I never stopped BFing in between though.  My daughter is 2 1/2 and nursed through my pregnancy with my now 3 month old.  Both are still nursing.  I knew more of what to expect and was much more relaxed about it.  My nipples were also tough, they never had time to rest and get soft again! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
mama02040608
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM

The latching thing is individual, since this will be a new baby and he/she will have to learn just as your first did.  But the advantage you now have is the knowledge of what to do and how to do it right, which will make it easier, in a sense.  But honestly, there is nothing 'easy' about a newborn, is there?  Good luck with baby #2! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)