Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 month old needs solids??

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son just turned 7 months. For the past month, we've tried giving him solids ... about 1 meal a day. We tried small amounts of several different foods, mostly fruits and squash. During this month he went from sleep 4-5 hour stretches at night to waking every hour. He also went from pooping once a day to once or twice a week. He became much fussier during this time also.

We stopped solids a week ago and he's more or less back to his previous sleep habits (although he has trouble falling asleep and staying asleep initially) and he poops almost every day. So, it seems like a no brainer, right? Not ready for solids yet.

But I've been getting flack from our pediatrician and our babysitter who both say "What you're experiencing is NORMAL when first starting solids. Just give him some prunes to make him poop. He needs more than your breastmilk now." My GUT says he's not ready yet ... and I think his gut says the same thing! Also, he hasn't popped any teeth yet.

Can I get some opinions on this?

Thanks ladies.

Open-minded, breastfeeding, instinctive parenting, homebirthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, delayed vaccinating part-time RN, full-time "go-with-the-flow" mama to Avery (6 months) and wife to Michael.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Krysta622
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Does he NEED it?  No.  At his age, it's ok if YOU were ok with it.  Since you're not, and he's obviously not, go with your mommy instinct.  My son was INTRODUCED to pureed zucchini at 8ish mos, but only ate a few spoonfuls every few days.  He had NO REAL interest in eating until 11 mos, and then, began eating me out of house and home.  I think you've got it right. 

MotherRachelle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

No, I honestly don't think they need it if they are still nursing. My daughter started to get certain foods at 6 months but she wanted them. She was constantly trying to take food from us and showed a lot of interest in it. Now at 11 months she eats just about anything and does great with big people food. However, if she would have had any problems with it I would have taken it away from her in a heart beat. They will let you know if they are ready for it or not. If you still feel bad though about not trying you could always give him 1 spoonful at every meal and then just give him a spoon to play with so he gets the practice. My little ones favorites were prunes, carrots, and applesauce. Also, at 6 months I only fed her breakfast, I thought going to 3 meals would be a  little much for her to handle. So for breakfast she would have like 2 tablespoons of applesauce. Then at about 6 1/2 months she got dinner, and 7 months she got lunch. I hope I helped a little with your question. Don't doubt yourself you know your child best, if you were starving him you would know.

CuriousNGL
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Thanks ladies. Good to have confirmation of my "mommy" instinct. He is meeting all his milestones (crawling all over the house already) and is in the 50th-75th percentile for height and weight. I don't think he's calorie-deficient! We'll plan to hold off on solids for a while longer...maybe till that first tooth pops up.

Open-minded, breastfeeding, instinctive parenting, homebirthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, delayed vaccinating part-time RN, full-time "go-with-the-flow" mama to Avery (7 months) and wife to Michael.

sillyputty91980
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM
My 7 month old dd is the same way. She absolutely loves to eat anything you want to give her but her belly disagrees. She can handle a few bites of mashed potato or whatever else we`re eating within reason, but if I actually try to feed her some solids, it totally throws off her night time sleeping and she`s very gassy and fussy for the next day or so. I hold off for a week or so and try again not because she needs them but because she`s so interested. I have found that she can tolerate a few of the Gerber Puffs broken into tiny pieces and they seem to satisfy her curiosity. My dr also said that she "needs" to be on solids now. I just smile and nod and then come home and do what I feel is best for us. My son started cereal at 4 months and jar food at 6 months and I have seen no difference between him at this age and my ebf daughter! Go with your gut!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)