Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi New Here - Need Help - Trying Not To Freak

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

I just had my daughter on 12-14, breastfeeding was going really good.  Then all of a sudden my supply (as of two days ago) started to dwindle. I know she is hungry and I can't seem to make enough for her. I nursed exclusively the last two days and only pumped twice, to empty whatever was left. (about a 1/2 ounce) each breast.

I really would like to keep breastfeeding her, I breastfed my son for 9 months and I am really depressed and feeling horrible that its only been 3 weeks for my daughter. I don't want to give up but I don't know how to get my milk to come back in.

Any advice would be appreciated. Where we used to live I had access to lactation consultants, where we've moved I have no clue where to look. WIC can't get me in for my first appointment since she has been born until Feb 1st., and there was no  lactation consultant at the hospital I had her at.

Truly freaking out,

Laural

( I used to feel my let downs significantly, now I don't feel them at all...I even tried warm compresses)

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
vances_mom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM
As long as she is having enough wet and/or poopy diapers, there is nothing wrong with your supply. Are you changing her 6-8 times in a 24hr period? For about the first 6wks, my DD was on me constantly. It's their way of establishing a good supply. As far as letdown, it's pretty common to have that "tingly" feeling disappear over time. I only feel it about 1/2 the time and it's not nearly as noticeable when I do feel it. HTH :) you're doing great momma!
Krysta622
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Nothing that you've said indicates low supply.  From what you've said, things seem to be going well. 

She nurses, but seems hungry after?  So put her back to breast.  Yes, even if she just ate.  She's at a stage where growth spurts happen often, and the fussing at the breast is what will tell your body to make more, basicially. 

1)   Are you changing 6-8 diapers (at least) within a 24 hr period?

2)   Is she gaining/not losing?

If the answers to those ?'s are yes, then you're fine.  Just offer breast often and for as long as baby wants.  You got this :)

Amy614
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM

First things first.. Take a deep breath, and relax.  Then read this advice again, because Krysta622 has it right.  Trust yourself, your body, and your baby.  You are doing so much better than you think you are!  Hang in there mommy!

Quoting Krysta622:

Nothing that you've said indicates low supply.  From what you've said, things seem to be going well. 

She nurses, but seems hungry after?  So put her back to breast.  Yes, even if she just ate.  She's at a stage where growth spurts happen often, and the fussing at the breast is what will tell your body to make more, basicially. 

1)   Are you changing 6-8 diapers (at least) within a 24 hr period?

2)   Is she gaining/not losing?

If the answers to those ?'s are yes, then you're fine.  Just offer breast often and for as long as baby wants.  You got this :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Put her to breast and COUNT DIPES. Nothing you describe indicates a supply problem. The ONLY thing that EVER matters is the dipe count...NOTHING else.

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Agreeing with all the ladies here, nurse on demand and count diapers. Kellymom has an article that may make you feel more at ease as well, google "kellymom nursing your newborn". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)