Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT and PIOG but I wanted to ask you guys too

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

Should I take my son to the doctor?

I was hunting for some other mommy advice. Christmas Eve my son woke with a runny nose and sneezing. Everything was good with that and then Thursday he woke coughing and having difficulty breathing out his nose. His cough has made him hoarse and I have tried giving him some cough syrup in the recommended dosage the doctor gave us last time we were there. Yesterday the mucus got so bad for him he was gagging off and on. Then last night  he "got sick" on me and then three more times on the floor. Once that was over he just wanted to be held and so that's what I did. He went back to sleep but then during the night we were up every two hours with him and his gagging trying to make sure he didn't "get sick" in the bed. I don't want to seem like a worry wart but due to a drafty house and everything I don't want to ignore it (KWIM)

He is an extended breatfeeder and doesn't nurse often. He also hasn't been wanting to eat. I know their appetite depletes when they are sick but I don't really know how to replenish his nutrient. TIA with any advice you can give.

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mmoleader
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Does he have a fever? If not I'd try nose drops. I am sure it is all the mucus he is swallowing that is making him get sick.  Just keep pushing the fulids, and don't worry about eating so much. Also try bath play the steam will help break up the mucus. Run a humidifier in his room with the door shut so it is a sauna in there. Good luck!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Amy614
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

If it were my son, I would go to the doc.  If for nothing else than to make sure that he isn't getting dehydrated, and to possibly get an antiemetic to help him stop throwing up (which is likely from all the mucous in his system, and all the coughing he is doing.)

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM

All the extra mucus is causing him to gag and vomit. Mucinex usually does the trick for my guys. You want to find a way to keep the mucus thin. But I didn't see how old he is, if he can even have Mucinex or not. I'd do to the drug store and find out. If he can't, ask the pharmacist what they'd recommend. I do vaporizers too, and Vicks on the feet. If the pharmacist doesn't have anything OTC, call the doc for a Rx.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (15m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

wright1212
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

My son did this when he was 9monthes old. He had a cold and swallowed so much green stuff that it caused a stomach infection. He needed antibiotics to help. Also a humidifier will he lp thin the musus so it will drain easier. He needs pedialyte and liquids too. Hope he feels better soon. OH and there is a great nasal product for babies- you just tilt their head back and let a few drops drip in. Then within a few minutes it helps the gunk run out so they can breath better. AND you can get vapor rub in a shower tablet now and get in the shower with him. Try to help him close his eyes and put his head down under the water. This will also help him breath better. I really hope this helps- but you should see your regular ped tomorrow!

Mommy to Corbin (7-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (4) Collin (9/10/09 bf only), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood.

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I would stop the cough syrup, the cough will help clear all of that out. He doesn't need to take it and it sounds like it's not helping and actually may be making things worse. Take him in the bathroom and run the shower hot until it gets steamy and nurse him in there, try nursing in a more upright position. Breast milk in the nose(couple drops) and wait a bit then use the nasal aspirator. You can use vicks baby rub as well. If he is having trouble at night, try a humidifier and having him sleep on an incline. Watch him for signs of dehydration if he isn't nursing well or taking any fluids. Give motrin or tylenol if he has a fever or achy body.

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

This just happened to my 25 months old. We took him to the ER because we were on vacation. He had a runny nose and a cough for a long time but when he started throwing up, not keeping anything down, and wouldn't nurse (and he usually nurses like 5 times a day) we took him in. He had either an upper respiratory infection or the start of pneumonia. He had to be on steroids for 6 days, antibiotic for 10 days and had to have 2 asthma treatments for his wheezing. Not say that you kid is that bad or that he needs those meds but you never know so I would take him to the doctor if I were you. Better safe than sorry.

I also wanted to add that I was worried about dehydration. The ER doc said that when their tongue get super dry and their eyes look sunken is when they are dehydrated. He said to give him a little Gatorade if he will drink it but he doesn't like anything but water. He was fine after we started him on the meds.

kmstockwell
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Over the counter cold medicines have been shown to cause major problems for kids under 5 (possibly even 7).  They cause blood pressure to lower and can lead to death, please do not use them!   Also, studies have shown that cough medicines don't really work.  You are better off making your own "cough medicine" at home using warm tea with lemon and honey.  Since you said extended BF, I am guessing over age 1, which means that honey is safe.  As PP said, humidifier, incline, aspirator, etc.  Call the doc tomorrow, especially if symptoms have been steadily getting worse instead of better because your LO has been sick for about 10 days now.  Hope he feels better soon!

jlizgar
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM

This is what *I* would do...

Id not give ANY over the counter medication, it can be dangerous for small children. Id be sure to run a humidifier and/or vaporizer at night to make sure the air is moist which helps when kids are stuffed and clogged...id put vapor rub on his feet and then cover with thick cotton socks, dont ask me how this works but it does!, it use salin drops in the nose to help with congestion, if a fever came id let it do its thing as fevers are not inherently bad, they are a sign that our body is trying to naturally fight off whatever infection or illness we have...as long as it didnt get too high, id just make sure my baby was well hydrated and maybe a wash cloth on the forehead for comfort.

Id up the dosage of vitamin D as its been proven to kill the flu and other such bugs, id also nurse on demand as much as possible, if the mucus and drainage was making nursing hard id try to suck out his nose directly after using the saline to clear his sinuses.

Hope these suggestions help you and that your little one gets better soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)