Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dinnertime baby drama

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

Mealtime has turned into a huge dramatic affair with my 8 month old. Everytime he sees food he freaks out going crazy. He will cry hysterically until he gets some. I'm not trying to give him three meals a day or anything. In fact he has less than one solid/day b/c I want him to have more milk. Some days he gets some and some days he doesn't. How do you handle your screaming lil' guy at the table? Sometimes I just have to put him in bed so we can eat our own supper.

baby

baby

baby

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WilliamsMama08
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM

GIVE HIM FOOD!!  He clearly is hungry and wants to eat solids!

Lovelee-Mama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Just curious why arent you giving him solid foods more often. My DD had 3 meals of soilds at 8 months but still breastfeed like a champ. As long as you breastfeed before solids he will be satisfied and still get plenty of milk.

blueberry1
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

What she said! 

Quoting WilliamsMama08:

GIVE HIM FOOD!!  He clearly is hungry and wants to eat solids!

tennisgal
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I was just worried that he would eat too much solids and then not nurse as well when obviously nursing is better than any solid.

baby

baby

baby

ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM

He is just telling you that he is ready to take that next step into eating solid food. Just sit him in the highchair with very soft foods that you are all eating, and let him go. Still be sure to always nurse first, but he is totally ready!

I am Andi. I am a 21 year old breastfeeding, baby in sling, cloth diapering momma of two. I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, hoping to become an IBCLC. Ask me about my Momma-Made cloth diapers, CD'ing accessories and baby slings!

MNilsen
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I am with the PPs... give him solids that he obviously is very interested in.  My DS had 3 meals a day by 8 months and still nursed fine.  I would most definitely not put him to bed.  if you don't want him to have a lot of solid food, I would get a banana or something and put it in a infant mesh feeder that should occupy him so you guys can eat.

CafeMom Tickers

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Quoting tennisgal:

I was just worried that he would eat too much solids and then not nurse as well when obviously nursing is better than any solid.

You nurse him before dinner time. THen give him his solids. All there is to it.

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I agree! My son was on all table food by 9 months. From 7-9 months he got home made baby food. Just nurse before each meal and then give him small soft bits of what you are eating. My son is still nursing at 25 months (at leat 4 times a day) and eats a ton of food.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting tennisgal:

You nurse him before dinner time. THen give him his solids. All there is to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)