Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help please (sort of OT) -update-

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 5 month old EBF baby has not had a BM in about 6 days.  I know its completely normal for EBF  babies to go a few days between BMs, but I'm starting to get a little worried.  She is having plenty of wet diapers (8+/day).  She is starting to get a little fussy during the day and sleeping at night is almost non-existent the last few days.  I think she's teething, but I don't know if that is affecting her BMs.  Her dr isn't open until tomorrow, and I will be calling in the am.  Is there anything I can do for her in the meantime?

-update-

I just want to thank you ladies for your advice and words of wisdom.  It figgures that the day I start to worry is the day she decides to have one of the most massive dirty diapers in her life, lol.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AandCsmomBrandy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM

it is actually completely fine for EBF babies to go up to 12 days w/out a bowel movement. I know that sounds terrible but my older DD would go 9-11 days!! as long as she is wetting diapers and i not in distress then she is fine!!

gardianangel123
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM

hi i had the same problem with my daughter she is now a year old. but i do agree with the other post they don't go as often, because almost all the breastmilk is absorbed by the baby. but i would talk to your peda. baby doc. they had me give her a laxative. to makesure she didn't have other stuff going on hope this helps. i will pray that everything is alright.

hugs

lifetimelove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Unless she's in pain, you probably don't have anything to worry about.  I would just give her some warm baths, tummy massages, bicycle the legs - those all can help work the gas through.  I've found that when mine take longer to poop, the closer they get to "poop" day, the worse the gas is.  =)

Keep an eye on your diet, though.  If she WAS going every day and then all of a sudden she hasn't gone in 6 days it might be an indication that there's some digestive unrest.  You might have just been eating more dairy than you usually do, which is usually the biggest culprit when it comes to an EBF baby having some constipation.

Do not use the laxatives unless your baby has true constipation.  My daughter has to take miralax and I'm trying to find any way possible to get her off of it, because it's really not healthy for them to be dependent on artificial means to go poop.  Laxatives are a last resort for a truly constipated baby (aka, actual pain when pooping and hard pellet like bowel movements).  

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

missbritt22
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:25 PM

My 8 month old son did this every once in a while and I would give him some Mylicon and it helped alot! It helps get things going. Or try to give her an ounce or two of baby apple juice, thats what the pedi told me to do because I also got worried. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)