Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was it harder...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

to try to conceive when you were still Bf??? DH and I are wanting to try for #3 now so that they are all about a year apart and we plan to be done...our first were not planned this way but we like it and want to complete our family....I got pg last year while I was BF when DS was about 4 months. So I guess I do still ovulate while BFing...he was also still eating at night...I have also gotten at least one positive ovulation test last month so I'm assuming that means that I am.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

babies

baby

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steph2884
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I don't know about getting pregnant while bfing, but I know I became extremely fertile right after my son stopped breastfeeding, considering I got pregnant right away while being careful!! He seriously stopped bfing and a week later I concieved. I was less careful while breastfeeding and didn't get pregnant. So I do believe it is harder to get pregnant while breastfeeding since ovulation times are probably all over the place. I would say just stop trying not to get pregnant and see what happens.

EmmaNemma22
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I think the same thing...just have fun trying to get preggers! We are not always 100% careful and I have been nursing for 17 months, still no preggers! And I get my cycle every month. So just keep trying and I think it will happen! 

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM

If you have pre-existing fertility problems, it can make things a bit harder. If you're exclusively breastfeeding and your child is under 6 months old, it can make things harder because there is a fertility control method called "LAM" (Lactational Ammenorhea Method) that is basically pretty good birth control.

It depends on the invidivual woman, though. Her hormonal balance, diet, lifestyle, etc.

Me- I was completely infertile for 6 months after my son's birth (LAM), then my period returned and presumably so did my fertility.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

ILoveMyJason
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM

For me, it was very easy to get pregnant while BF'ing ... we hadn't actually started trying yet and it was a shock when I found out we had already conceived. I hadn't gotten AF back at all, either. When we were TTC with my first son, it took a good 6 months of trying.

julieobug
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Thanks ladies! Yeah we are not going to make this work so we are going to just enjoy ourselves but I was wondering how many women were in the same boat with me...cuz I got preggers last year unplanned when my first was only 4 months old...I guess I kinda hopeing that it wasn't a fluke and could happen again=D

babies

baby

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Quoting julieobug:

Thanks ladies! Yeah we are not going to make this work so we are going to just enjoy ourselves but I was wondering how many women were in the same boat with me...cuz I got preggers last year unplanned when my first was only 4 months old...I guess I kinda hopeing that it wasn't a fluke and could happen again=D

Definitely not a fluke. :) My friend is pregnant with her third, and her oldest just turned three. She was breastfeeding when she became pregnant with her second and her third.

Some find it easy to become pregnant while breastfeeding, others do not.

I became pregnant while breastfeeding, as well. (Disclaimer: My son was close to three years old when I became pregnant, and we were only nursing 2-3 times per day at that point. But I was actively avoiding pregnancy prior to that point, so it wasn't the breastfeeding that was preventing an earlier pregnancy)

If you've previously become pregnant while breastfeeding, I'd say you're likely to repeat the experience. :)

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

julieobug
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:15 PM

LOL oh good!! some people think I'm nuts for wanting 3 under 3 but then they will all be really close and thats what we want!

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting julieobug:

Definitely not a fluke. :) My friend is pregnant with her third, and her oldest just turned three. She was breastfeeding when she became pregnant with her second and her third.

Some find it easy to become pregnant while breastfeeding, others do not.

I became pregnant while breastfeeding, as well. (Disclaimer: My son was close to three years old when I became pregnant, and we were only nursing 2-3 times per day at that point. But I was actively avoiding pregnancy prior to that point, so it wasn't the breastfeeding that was preventing an earlier pregnancy)

If you've previously become pregnant while breastfeeding, I'd say you're likely to repeat the experience. :)

babies

baby

mama02040608
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I got preggers 2x while bf and on the minipill! So I guess not in my case...lol...although I will say both boys were older (about 10 mos) and not nursing really often at the time, probably 4x a day.  I got preggers without a period with ds #2 and after just one cycle with dd (although I ovulated funny with her, b/c I went to the OB @ 7 weeks based on LMP and I was only 5.  So, I had a period and then ovulated right after it.)  Anything is possible in this wild, wacky world of BF! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)