Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Booby Monster!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM
  • 17 Replies

Noah is 17 mos old on the 13th...he nurses CONSTANTLY still. Like a new born. I know, it's craziness! I can't seem to break him of needed to nurse at night either. He nurses at least 4 times a night. While he's sleeping...and if I am not right there with the boob on tap then he SCREAMS bloody murder and freaks out! It is starting to be very tiring for me and my husband because he is STILL sleeping in our bed. We live in a one bedroom so there is no leaving him alone in his own room right now to see if that helps. He used to sleep in his crib which we converted to a toddler bed and he still will not slep in it. He only with sleep in our bed! I don't mind nursing him still and I want to nurse him until he is 2 but I am worried I won't even be able ot wean him if he isn't ready! I do not want to nurse him past 2, period. So I am just wondering if anyone else is going through this or has gone through it and has any advice on what to do or what you do do?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM

hope you find an answer *bump*

jus1jess
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Just wait it out. It DOES get better. Remember that 17 months is still a baby so we have to have reasonable expectations of them.

Jessica~ teen, unmarried, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, gay marriage supporting, pro choice, environmentally friendly, omnivorous but vegan at heart, animal loving, drug free, natural feeding w/out a schedule, public blanketless nursing, child led weaning, delayed/slow solid intro, junk food banning, co sleeping, toddler carrying/wearing, used to cloth diaper, positive potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, natural birth advocating, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet, beautiful girl

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene 

gardianangel123
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

hi  my daughter just turned 1 and the doc ask how she was sleeping and i said not good she wants to nurse. she told me not to nurse her and try giving her a little cup of water so i hope that helps

PartTime_Me
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

It sounds like he needs his own room.  We were kind of going through the same thing.  My DS is almost 14 months and we just got him to sleep without nursing through the night.

The only way we got him to do it was by letting him CIO in his own room.  Not my preferred method, but it worked and quickly too.

Good luck!!

air forceaprontoddler boy

Megan, Wife to Adam and Mommy to Alex

Check out my blog: Full-Time Wife & Mother; Part-Time Me

shelibeli
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Chloe is 2 1/2 and still in our bed, which I am more than fine with.  She only stopped nursing during the night at about 22 months, on her own.  Now we are down to before bed and naptime, and maybe in the morning on days I am not working.  The night time nursing is a challenge, but I often thought of the alternative, of getting up and rocking, feeding, soothing, making a bottle, etc.  Put in that perspective, laying there whipping out a boob seems like a good option. LOL!!!  Maybe give it a few more months and see what happens?  Does he use a pacifier?  When I really couldn't take another minute, I would slip a paci in instead and that usually bought me some time peaceful sleep.  Now we can talk about it and I can just say "mommy's boobies need a little break".  She says that to me now everytime she detaches....it's cute.

Whatever you decide, it will get better as you are better able to communicate with him.

Good luck!

toddler girlHappily attached parent to my Chloe-Bear...

baby dustHoping and praying for number 2...

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Kellymom has a great article that may help you, google "kellymom night weaning".

EmmaNemma22
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Thank you ladies!

Noah doesn't use a bink anymore..he gave it up at 11 months on his own. I tried to make him use it because it did help him sleep through the night NOT on the boob. And I don't mind except I am not only in pain from the constant sucking AND as he sleeps he bites down REALLY hard. Thats whats so tough, but I am also not comfortable sleeping at all and end up staying awake the whole night. I definitely would never give him a bottle, and I agree, whipping out the boob is 100 times better!

SO I am going to wait it out like you guys said...I totally agree it will get easier as I can communicate with him more. He screams and cries if I tell him "no boob" so he does understand quite a bit. We will see I guess!

Thanks again guys...I will also go check out that post!  

Monpetitechoux
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Quoting EmmaNemma22:

Thank you ladies!

Noah doesn't use a bink anymore..he gave it up at 11 months on his own. I tried to make him use it because it did help him sleep through the night NOT on the boob. And I don't mind except I am not only in pain from the constant sucking AND as he sleeps he bites down REALLY hard. Thats whats so tough, but I am also not comfortable sleeping at all and end up staying awake the whole night. I definitely would never give him a bottle, and I agree, whipping out the boob is 100 times better!

SO I am going to wait it out like you guys said...I totally agree it will get easier as I can communicate with him more. He screams and cries if I tell him "no boob" so he does understand quite a bit. We will see I guess!

I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to comment that I feel your pain with the biting. My LO has started doing that when he nurses at night. He barely wakes up to eat and when he is almost done he will sometimes bite down randomly. I don't think he means to but it hurts!!!

EmmaNemma22
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I know! I don't think Noah is doing it purposely either..it's like happening in his sleep the biting down...I hope you can get your LO to stop too!

Quoting Monpetitechoux:

Quoting EmmaNemma22:

Thank you ladies!

I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to comment that I feel your pain with the biting. My LO has started doing that when he nurses at night. He barely wakes up to eat and when he is almost done he will sometimes bite down randomly. I don't think he means to but it hurts!!!

cruzida
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM

My LO still sleeps in our bed at 11 months and nurses at night too! I can't nor do I try to count HOW many times he nurses at night.
I'm half asleep  anyway but I know what you mean about just wanting to not be woken up at all for one whole night. I feel the same way some mornings and if I try to ignore him then he will wake up and cry instead of just nudging me awake so...I give in to the head butts!! It's been SO bad for the last 12 days-yes I'm counting! Antonio got his first cold which turned into croup, an ear infection and now tonsillitis-ugggh! Go big, or go home that's how he rols. LOL Since his tonsils are so swollen he will not eat ANYTHING-not a single bite for 12 days!!!! He's been nursing like a 2 month old baby-every 2 hrs AND all night long. Can't wait for him to get better and FINALLY start eating. Anyway, sorry about your sleepless nights.I guess I'm ot a good advice giver on this one-maybe a longer bedtime nursing session? You prob already do that though-GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)