Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solids

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

Is it better to ask our ped if I can start my son on solids? He is 6 months old and I was thinking about giving him a tiny bit of mashed avacado with breast milk (after he nurses of course).  But I wasn't sure if I should wait to speak with the doc first or if it's ok to go ahead.

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Amy614
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

If you are comfortable with it, and your LO is showing signs of readiness for solids, go ahead and give it a try.  Just make sure (obviously) that it is a good consistency for a baby on an all solids diet to handle  :)

MissiHampt
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Since every baby is different, I'm sure you know better than your doctor would if your child is ready to start.  You can always try and if he doesn't take to it well, wait a few more weeks.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

lifetimelove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

When it comes to baby, I'm of the mindset that mommy almost always knows best.  =)  The doctor sees your child for a few minutes every couple months.  I can almost guarentee you (and I'd bet a thousand dollars on this) that your doctor would say to go ahead.  I'm not saying that's the RIGHT answer, I'm just telling you that's what your doctor would say.  ;)

But if you're going to go ahead and baby is 6 months, then I'd say avocado mashed with breastmilk is about a perfect solid food to start with that you can get.  Even better just tiny little pieces of really ripe avacado for him to feed himself with.  Then he gets the added advantage of working on his fine motor skills via the pincer grasp.    

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

jus1jess
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Well most pediatricians will just give all parents the same number. They don't know, care, or focus  much on your individual child's diet needs. It's not their job to anyway since they aren't nutritionists so I wouldn't trust them. My pedi told me at my DD's 6 month check up that I should've started baby food after our last check up (4 months) and she should be eating them 3 times a day already by 6 months! That's way wrong. 6 months is a minimum, you have to start healthy, you have to go slow, and you have to keep nursing the main source of food cause solids can't do near what milk can for babies. I'd wait just a bit longer unless he's REALLY interested in the solids. 

Jessica~ teen, unmarried, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, gay marriage supporting, pro choice, environmentally friendly, omnivorous but vegan at heart, animal loving, drug free, natural feeding w/out a schedule, public blanketless nursing, child led weaning, delayed/slow solid intro, junk food banning, co sleeping, toddler carrying/wearing, used to cloth diaper, positive potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, natural birth advocating, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet, beautiful girl

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Pediatricians are NOT the greatest sources of how to FEED babies, in fact most of them get their info from formula or babyfood companies, its kinda sad.

If your child is showing the signs of being ready for solids...Go for it.  Avacado and BM is a GREAT idea.

heres the signs of readiness in BF babies

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

• Baby can sit up well without support.
  • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
  • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
  • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
  • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Your pediatrician will just tell you it's fine, if your baby shows readiness give it a try. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)