Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to know

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

Oka so I am not very experienced with BF. So my daughter is 4 weeks on tuesday and ALL day today she seems like she is eating constantly, from one boob to the other and what not. Well she spit up on me and it was very watery. Not like her normal spit up. Is this a sign of me drying up? What does this mean? This happened with my second son and that is why I had to quit Bf. I did not have access to Cafemom at that time so I couldnt have suport to continue.  Should I be concerned? I am not ready to quit, please help me. What do I need to do? Is it normal to be watery? Like I said, before I quit with baby #2 it was very watery, I even pumped and it came out very watery and that is why I quit. Thanks!!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
vances_mom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM
4wks is growth spurt time. She's just building your supply. Keep letting her eat as often and for as long as she wants to. As far as it looking "watery", as long as her poo isn't green and frothy, she's getting enough hindmilk. Is she gaining well? Is she making 6+ diapers in 24hrs? If the answers are "yes", then you are worrying for no good reason :) you're doing great, momma!
zookeeperx3
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Also, breastmilk tends to be more watery looking than formula or cows milk. Nothing to worry about as long as your diaper count is ok.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
threeeunder3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

in addition to what everyone said, ive noticed that as soon as my milk hit her tummy, it began to seperate and if she burped and some came up, it could look watery.

Lovin' on my babies

moorhead2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

she is gaining weight great!! now what is frothy? describe please? it is the normal curdy, but seems a bit snotty too if that makes sense!! like it has a snotty texture

Quoting vances_mom:

4wks is growth spurt time. She's just building your supply. Keep letting her eat as often and for as long as she wants to. As far as it looking "watery", as long as her poo isn't green and frothy, she's getting enough hindmilk. Is she gaining well? Is she making 6+ diapers in 24hrs? If the answers are "yes", then you are worrying for no good reason :) you're doing great, momma!

mammacita9
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Quoting moorhead2:

she is gaining weight great!! now what is frothy? describe please? it is the normal curdy, but seems a bit snotty too if that makes sense!! like it has a snotty texture

Quoting vances_mom:

THat sounds perfect! The diaper count is the only true way to tell your baby is getting enough and in addition to the great wieght gain it sounds like you are doing great! Don't worry Mamma, my milk always looked kinda watery and my daughter has been bf for 18mo and is HUGE! :-) Keep up the great work! The growth spurt will pass and just keep feeding her on demand.

vances_mom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM
If the color is yellow-ish and seedy, that's what you want. A little "snotty/slimy" is pretty normal, too. DD had poo like that.
moorhead2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:57 PM

thanks sooooooooooo much for all your help and support!!!

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Quoting moorhead2:

Oka so I am not very experienced with BF. So my daughter is 4 weeks on tuesday and ALL day today she seems like she is eating constantly, from one boob to the other and what not. Well she spit up on me and it was very watery.

Breastmilk is more than 90 percent water...it should be watery looking.

Not like her normal spit up. Is this a sign of me drying up? What does this mean?

As you've already learned...it means nothing. **smile**

This happened with my second son and that is why I had to quit Bf. I did not have access to Cafemom at that time so I couldnt have suport to continue.  Should I be concerned? I am not ready to quit, please help me. What do I need to do? Is it normal to be watery? Like I said, before I quit with baby #2 it was very watery, I even pumped and it came out very watery and that is why I quit. Thanks!!

Relax, count dipes...nothing wrong here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)