Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refreezing partially thawed milk?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have been on the road all day (ok 8 hours, but it felt like all day).  I have 10 bags (!!!!!) of frozen breastmilk  that I really wanted to bring home with me.  I went and bought a cooler and put dry ice in the cooler to keep it cold.  It didn't work as well as I had hoped.  Somehow the milk partially thawed.  It's mostly still frozen, but a bag or two is half thawed at least.  Is it still ok to put in the freezer to use?  I have it in the freezer now, but it is separate from the rest of my stash.  I wanted to know what you ladies thought. 

Thanks for your help!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BlazzinBebe88
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Wow wierd I was coming here to ask the SAME thing - lol. Hope to hear an answer!

katiemomNY
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Everything I've read says that once thawed, it must be used within 24 hours.  

I didn't have any luck pumping and trying to transport frozen milk when I was on vacation either, but if nothing else, you prevented painful engorgement and helped keep your supply up!  

jessica39232
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I myself do not see how it would spoil from re-freezing right away.  Its not like you had it sitting in the fridge all day or out on the counter.  I myself would re-freeze and would still use, but that is just me.  I also do this with my meat.  If I freeze like 2.0 lbs, and when it  comes time to use about a 1/2 lb I defrost the whole thing until I can chop it up into my four sections and then I refreeze it and use it next time.  I have never ever been sick from this nor has anyone in my family.  I don't see why a lil bmilk would be any different. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Like ANY other food...once the thawing process starts, you may not refreeze. Refigerate and use or toss in a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)