Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does breastfeeding drain your energy?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

I nursed my first daughter for only two months.  When I stopped nursing I had so much more energy.  I also felt that nursing was aging me. 

Do you think nursing takes away more of your energy?  Does it get better over time? 

How did nursing effect you?  In both the first few months and over a longer period of time?

I am pregnant with my second child and would really like to try nursing longer.  My first baby will be around eighteen months when our second is born.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BellaBlondie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM

It doesn't really drain your energy, but it does feel like it.  There is a hormone that is released in both your milk (for the baby) and in your body that makes you sleepy.  The effects of it reduce as time goes on, but especially at first because you are so tired anyways.....it has quite a profound effect.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Nursing itself...no. But many new moms don't eat enough. 1800 calories a day are your minimum requirement, and work your way back up to your old activity level. No killing yourself to get back to pre-pregnancy weight, OK?

abruznocks
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I have wondered that myself as well. I have been nursing my little guy for 5 months now. I have also wondered if your immune system weaker because your body is working on producing milk. I have been getting a cold about once a month since I had my little man. I never use to get sick. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Quoting abruznocks:

I have wondered that myself as well. I have been nursing my little guy for 5 months now. I have also wondered if your immune system weaker because your body is working on producing milk. I have been getting a cold about once a month since I had my little man. I never use to get sick. 

That's actually the product of having had a baby. Your body takes a real walloping in pregnancy

dhampshire63
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

First and foremost, I don't care if someone is nursing or not.....you will be tired the first couple of months regardless, you just had a baby. Secondly, you should still be taking your pre-natal vitamins. (I actually could feel the difference if I forgot to take it the day before.) I also take an extra calcium supplement and make sure I eat alot of good food (iron, antioxidants, etc.) I've been nursing a little over 2 months and I feel just fine, the same way I did at this time when I formula fed my other 2. As far as aging, I never heard this effect, but if it does I personally wouldn't care, my child's health is more important to me than vanity.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I found that I had more energy while breastfeeding than I would have under similar circumstances not breastfeeding (considering the lack of sleep that comes with new motherhood, etc.)

The trick is to take in enough calories, make sure you get sleep when you can, and continue taking your prenatal vitamin. You might also want to take a good B Complex, especially if you're experiencing a lot of postpartum hair loss. (I LOVE LOVE LOVE B-Right by Jarrow because it doesn't smell like B vitamins, and it doesn't make me burp that horrid B-vitamin burp.)

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

tayers
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Quoting abruznocks:

I started taking a daily probiotci as well and that has really helped prevent colds and other illness

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Quoting abruznocks:

Mine was stronger while breastfeeding, oddly. When my son started to self wean, I started getting sick constantly.  I think it was because HE was no longer getting my antibodies and was getting ME sick.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

DragonRiderMD
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I only ever got that drained feeling while I was actually nursing, because of the hormones being release. It never had a lingering effect though; within a few minutes of my baby coming off the breast and me getting up, I felt fine. I still get that feeling to a lesser extent now, at 8 months, but it's definitely let up a good bit; I think it might have to do with her nursing for shorter amounts of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)