Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

almost 10 month old think we are having nursing problems and im not ready to stop yet. please help if you can.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

my daughter will be eleven months on the 10 and were still nursing good. the only thing is that she seems to not want to nurse as much and wants our food more.  i try the nurse before solids thing but most of the time she wont nurse then she wants other foods. i cant make her nurse if she doesn't want to obviously but i am wandering if this is her way of trying to wean already. i am not ready to give up nursing i wanted to at least make it to her first birthday.  she has even stopped wanting to eat baby foods, all she wants is "real" foods. she nurses good at night and when shes tired she will nurse. and every four to five hours i guess she nurses pretty good. i don't know i might just be paranoid or something.  maybe i am drying up cause i don't feel let down like i used to either. how many diapers should she still be going through a day for me to know that shes nursing enough? i do occasionally give her a sippy with water or juice and i have tried whole cows milk just to see if she likes it and if we will have a smooth transition in a month or so. please if you have any advice or anything that can help me through this let me know i am open to all suggestions. thanks so much.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jessica39232
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I personally am not one that goes by the books.  I kinda let my kids lead the way.  I am still nursing my 16 month old and she has gone thru ups and downs of nursing since she could eat solids.  I never did the baby food really either.  She has always just eaten what we were having.  I feel like she always got the nurtition that she needed and was not lacking anything.  I'd say just go with the flow.  If she is not as interested right now it does not mean she will not be in a few weeks.  My daughter now is cutting her last 4 teeth (before her 2 yr old molars) and all she wants is boob all day long.  I can sit on the couch and she comes up to me just whining till I give in.  I really do not believe your dd is weaning I think she is just taking on different interests right now and wants to explore them more thats all. 

LeanneC
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Sounds JUST like my almost 10 month old.   I don't really follow the "rules", either.

He never ate baby foods (aside from last week, my husband went shopping and bought some for some odd reason), and he LOVES table food.   He's cut way back on nursing during the day and will actually refuse to nurse unless he's good and hungry or tired. 

This is the exact reason I encouraged comfort nursing and nursing to sleep, though... because this also happened with my first and I knew it would keep him nursing.

I don't give him too much solids unless he's just nursed really good (he typically just gets little bites here and there throughout the day) and he does nurse good at bedtime, naptimes, and several times overnight... so, he gets a good 6-8 sessions in per day, which is A-OK with me. 

I'd look for 5-6 wet diapers at this age. 

It's really all normal stuff.  He started weaning the day he started solids.  This is just another step along that path... he may nurse like this for a couple months, and then pick back up... or may continue nursing like this for 6 months and continue pulling back.  All kids are different. 

He absolutely WON'T wean in a months time.  Weaning is a long process over the course of a year at least... if it's sudden, it's not true self-weaning. 

jelync
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

My 2nd DD is 22 months now and at 11 months she only nursed 3 times a day. First thing in the morning, before nap and before bed. She would also nurse if she was upset. She weaned herself at about 16 months. She did not want to sit still at any other time in the day.

As far as let down I could not feel it after 6 months. If she is nursing well a couple of times a day I would think that she is getting enough liquids. Use your thumb and push on her skin. If the dent fills back in quickly she is plenty hydrated. My DD also went through the baby food stage quickly and wanted what we were eating. I just made sure that it was mashed or cut up to the point that she could handle and let her eat it.

Don't freak out if you don't match the books. They are averages and every child is different.

Jenn

palexander
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:15 AM

My son went through this stage about the same age. He wanted the solids more than the breast. But his big thing was he wouldn't nurse unless I reminded him. I didn't do the baby food because he wouldn't eat it.  So what I did was about 7 months started him on table food. I nursed before than fed him.

When he went through his nursing strike, I would remind him every 3 to 4 hours that he needed to nurse. I have 3 boys, twins 2 and my boob man, who is 1 now so meals (solids) are on a schedule. He gets breakfast about 8a.m. after nursing then nap around 10 or 11, which he nurses. Then lunch around 1p.m. I try to nurse him after his nap but it don't always work. He then won't nurse in the afternoon unless I remind him. So between 3-5 we nurse then his nurses between 8-8:30p.m. for bedtime. He will nurse 1-3 times at night.

If you don't want to quit nursing, remind her during the day to nurse. I would offer it to my son and would nurse maybe 10 minutes, sometimes a full nurse. I also give him about 3 cups a day. He drinks about 4 or 5 ozs in a cup then his nurse 3 times during the day.

As for diapers, I  think at least 4.

Mommy2MyBoyz
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM

My opinion, completely normal. Your baby is getting older now and likes to eat more table food. Don't worry mom, she still needs to be nursed to sleep and when she needs comfort. You are doing a great job, does not mean she is ready to wean, just means she is getting older. 

gradysmom2006
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Grady did the same thing.  He continued to nurse at night for months after he stopped nursing during the day.  I never wanted to force nursing on him, so I let him lead the way.  It was a really smooth transition for him, but it was rough for me.  I cried when I realized he wasn't going to nurse anymore (it had been like 3 or so nights in a row that he refused...and I realized he was done.)

Pregnancy ticker
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Harrison will be 11 months on the 16th &  has been doing the same thing. I was told (can't remember by who) that it was normal because they are more active & are too busy to stop & nurse. Harrison is getting really good at what I call nursing drive by's. He'll come to me & reach up, I nurse him for literally 15 seconds or so then he wiggles wanting down & goes to play, 30 minutes later he'll do the same thing. lol. I do keep things like cheerios on his saucer for him to grab in passing but that isn't very filling. When he's sick or tired he'll nurse longer.

Miranda, proud Homebirthing, Co-sleeping,

Breastfeeding, Anti CIO, Anti Circ,No Vax,
Cloth diapering mom to
Rhiannon,Arielle & Harrison.

threeeunder3
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Quoting jessica39232:

I personally am not one that goes by the books.  I kinda let my kids lead the way.  I am still nursing my 16 month old and she has gone thru ups and downs of nursing since she could eat solids.  I never did the baby food really either.  She has always just eaten what we were having.  I feel like she always got the nurtition that she needed and was not lacking anything.  I'd say just go with the flow.  If she is not as interested right now it does not mean she will not be in a few weeks.  My daughter now is cutting her last 4 teeth (before her 2 yr old molars) and all she wants is boob all day long.  I can sit on the couch and she comes up to me just whining till I give in.  I really do not believe your dd is weaning I think she is just taking on different interests right now and wants to explore them more thats all. 

i agree. great answer.

when shes one she will start being picky and refuding food so watch out! lol

Lovin' on my babies

LKRA
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

The first day you gave her solids was the first day the weaning process began. :)

If you are practicing child-led weaning, then it seems to me like your daughter is leading the way just fine. You're right; you can't force her to nurse. Just keep offering to nurse before solids, and follow her cues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)