Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the signs of nipple confusion/preference?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM
  • 2 Replies

I do not know if this is a nursing strike, problems with teething, problems with possible thrush which i will know if it is definitely on Wednesday or from the few bottles he gets now and then is causing nipple preference. I do not understand why this would happen he didn't even take a bottle easily until he was 11 weeks old. He gets one sometimes twice a day sometimes only twice a week. I decided to stop them all together for a while and see what happens. I decided not to return to work for a while for other reasons  anyway, fiance is getting a better paying job and its not needed that i rush back right now. He seems frustrated by the flow when he is at the breast. This only started maybe 3 days ago. I am confused because I do not have a supply problem I still get overactive letdown especially in the morning and late at night and i only use slow flow stage one bottle nipples. I hope hes not self weening over a few bottles. He is almost 5 months old.sad

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM
Quoting Crystal8327:
He seems frustrated by the flow when he is at the breast.
YES. This is nipple preference. Frustration at the flow is nipple preference. You sold it by dumping the artifical nipples. He's more than old enough to be cup fed, so switch to a soft-spout sippy. He can't have bottles anymore. And yes, nipple preference cna set in ANY time.
This only started maybe 3 days ago. I am confused because I do not have a supply problem I still get overactive letdown especially in the morning and late at night and i only use slow flow stage one bottle nipples. I hope hes not self weening over a few bottles. He is almost 5 months old.
He can TRY..you don't have to let him. NO MORE BOTTLES. Sippies only. Remove the spillproof valve. Caregiver tips the cup, baby sips the milk. Babies take to this VERY easily. Caregivers, not so much.
Crystal8327
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Thanks there is improvement right away since he has not had a bottle in 2 days. He seems okay today but yea i was thinking he is older now anyway and may be liking the fast flow better now which is the opposite of the way he used to be he used to hate bottles and take forever from whoever would give him one. I do have one sippy cup that i can leave for when i leave and see what happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)