Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Red bumps on nipples?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

I noticed today that I have red bumps, sort of like a rash on my nipples, more one side then the other, and the nipples themselves seem red and irritated. They don't hurt very bad, but I have noticed lately that nursing is kind of sore. LO is six months old and we haven't really had problems in forever, except for mastitis but I don't have any of the usual signs of that. What else could it be?

by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Sounds like it might be thrush.

Monpetitechoux
by on Jan. 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Ugh that's what I was afraid of. How do I treat it? I have a doctors appointment for Taegan next Thursday, but nursing is starting to get more painful.

Monpetitechoux
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Bump.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM

You can try using probiotics. Get some infant probiotics and use them to powder your bra, and take a good multi-strain probiotic yourself. I like the "PB8" brand, personally. A heath food store or Whole Foods will have probiotics.

If your LO has thrush too (any fuzzy white patches in her mouth?) then you'll want to get a hypoallergenic probiotic that you can use on your nipples just prior to nursing so that she's getting probiotics too.

(If you've used teething tablets that contain lactose, you can generally use a regular run of the mill infant probiotic such as Baby Jarro-dophilus rather than hunting down a hypoallergenic one.)

Gentian violet is also good for getting rid of thrush.

Bleach your bras and make sure your breasts air-dry as much as possible. Try to go without a bra for a few days if you can.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN