Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bottles?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

What are the best bottles to get for BFing and pumping?  I'm trying to do my registry but I'm not sure which bottles work best to prevent nipple confusion.  Also, what is the best way to store breast milk?  Best storage systems?  How do you prepare stored breast milk?  What is the best pump to use?

Sorry, I'm new to this, so I have a lot of questions.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnant with or TTC a July/August 2010 baby?  IF SO, come join us at Due July/August 2010!!!  June and September mommies welcome too!  Can't wait to see you there!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Quoting NIKopotamous:

What are the best bottles to get for BFing and pumping? Bottle that have wide bases and slow flow nipples, you never need to use anything higher than slow flow.  I'm trying to do my registry but I'm not sure which bottles work best to prevent nipple confusion.  Also, what is the best way to store breast milk? If you plan to use it within 5-7 days store it in the fridge because that will preserve the living cells in the milk. If you aren't you can freeze the milk in breast milk storage bags or bottles. Make sure to put the date and time expressed on the milk, write it on duct tape if you are using bottles to store. I would suggest storing the milk in small amounts like 2 oz. or 4 oz. because once it's thawed you have to use it within 24 hours.  Best storage systems?  I just used bottles because that worked well for me. You may find the storage bags work best for you. Use whatever you feel works best.  How do you prepare stored breast milk? You can thaw it in the fridge and then heat it in a cup of warm/hot water or putting it underneath the hot running water of your sink. You can also use a bottle warmer. Do not microwave it, it will destroy some of the nutrients in the milk and can cause hot spots in the milk that can burn the baby.  What is the best pump to use? Depends on your needs. If you aren't going to return to work and only need it occasionally then I would suggest a nice manual pump like the Avent Isis, or anything made by Ameda or Medela. If you will be returning to work I would suggest a good double electric pump made by Ameda, Lansinoh or Medela.

Sorry, I'm new to this, so I have a lot of questions.

You don't have to apologize, it's wonderful that you are asking questions! =)

Here's a link to the CDC guidelines for human milk storage and handling:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I would try Breastflow or Adiri bottles first, but also register for single bottles of other wide nipple brands like Avent and Nuby.  Depends on what baby is willing to take really.

Storage bags are a must for BM...you can store more in less sapce, register for bunches. 

The medela brand double electric pumps are the best when going back to work..the Ameda and Lansinoh pumps are good too but I have no experience with them.

Check out the pumping section of kellymom.com

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM

One storage method is to store milk in small portions (one to two ounces) in breastmilk bags or storage bottles. I preferred Medela's two ounce storage bottles.

Some moms like to freeze their pumped milk, and use the oldest milk first. Personally, I like to keep some milk in the freezer for an emergency.... but serve freshly pumped or refrigerated milk when possible.

Never microwave milk, instead warm milk up under warm running water or soak in a cup filled with warm water.

Breastmilk is best served stirred, not shaken. Shaking milk can damage some of its protective properties so treat gently!

Some feeding bottle recommendations are wider, slow flow nipples. Avent, Adiri, or Gerber are good. The most important feature is the slow flow nipple.

My pumps of choice are Medela Pump in Style, Ameda Purely Yours, and Avent Isis.

Mia ~  Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator

Sebastian
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM

What are the best bottles to get for BFing and pumping?

Personally, I wouldn't buy too many.  My first DD had to have Dr. brown's b/c she had horrible gas.  My second DD went through abtou 10 bottles before we found one she liked.  I tired all teh "traditional" BFing bottles, and she would not touch them.  Save your money until you know. Good news was, she liked just the bottles I pumped into witha Nuk nipple attached.. nice an convient... but you never know. If you want to put some on your registry, that's fine, ut keep them sealed, adn save the recipt.. that way, you can take them back and get whatever s/he likes.   

Also, what is the best way to store breast milk? Best storage systems? 

I just used the bottles I pumped into to store fresh milk.  If I needed to freeze it, I used the bags (lansinoh or gerber) as they take up less space. My babies always took way more the 2 oz, but I know that's the norm... I did 2 oz at first, but quickly switched to what my baby was taking.

How do you prepare stored breast milk? 

Do you mean heat it?  For refrigerator milk, just swirl to mix in the cream (don't shake) and heat either in a bottle warmer or in a cup of warm water.  For frozen, you can thaw it in the refrigerator, or you can submerse it in warm water.  Just be careful.  I find the bags can leak, or get weak on the corners from freezing/thawing.  I tended to thaw, in the refrigerator, with a second container around the bag just in case (unless it was an unforseen use of frozen milk.. then I just told DH to go for it and hope for the best!.

What is the best pump to use?

Can't answer for occassional use.  For pumping while working, either the Ameda double breast pump.  (<ansinoh makes the same exact pump for cheaper) or the Medela one.  I used the Ameda b/c my hospital gave me some parts for it.  Bought mine for 1/4 of the price on E-bay.

Sebastian

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)