Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no bottle? Syringe?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

I work one day a week and am gone for most of the day.  My DS is 5 months old and EBF and will not take a bottle.  My hubby has tried everything- I have a bunch of bottles with different nipples, he's tried sippy cups... the only thing that my DS will take from him is a syringe.  This seems like a pain in the butt!  Anyone have any success getting a EBF baby to drink from a bottle at such an age???  I need some tips. I feel bad leaving DH with a syringe fed baby!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KyriesMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:45 AM

If that is what he takes, then that is what he takes. It is hard to force a baby to take a bottle. I am in the same boat (I don't work though) my DS is also 5 months, and refuses anything that is not my nipple. He hates bottles and binkys. Has from the very beginning. The only other thing that your DH could try with DS, is cup feeding. There are links on the kellymom.com site. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html#Cup

I am a vaxing, spank when needed, non-circumcising, non-cio, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, I have also used formula, noob to cloth diapering, my children watch TV, forward faced my DD at one year (may not do that with my DS). I learn as I go and change my parenting style to what suits my current beliefs.

erinj
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Quoting KyriesMommy:

If that is what he takes, then that is what he takes. It is hard to force a baby to take a bottle. I am in the same boat (I don't work though) my DS is also 5 months, and refuses anything that is not my nipple. He hates bottles and binkys. Has from the very beginning. The only other thing that your DH could try with DS, is cup feeding. There are links on the kellymom.com site. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alternative-feeding.html#Cup

Thanks... I will let him know, I just feel so bad for leaving!   A bottle seems so much easier than any of the other options.  Good thing it's only DH, I'd hat for anyone else to have to syringe feed my LO!  

Jacquelin
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:16 AM

my daughter likes the playtex nursers, that is the only bottle she does not fight. 

KadenAlansMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:26 AM

I just recently learned about tommee tippee bottles and pacifiers. I have not used them but my son has exclusively breastfed for 10 months and I am going to try these bottles out. The nipples on them are supposed to be like the real deal. Another good one is Adiri natural nurser bottles. Both of these are a little pricey but if they work, it'll be the syringe!

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Has he tried using a small cup(like the medicine cups that come with childrens' tylenol or motrin) and letting him lap it out like a cat. You can also look into getting a supplemental nursing system and he can finger feed him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)