Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yeast Reduction Diet While Breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM
  • 17 Replies

Sorry this is a bit long. Please skip to the question if you don't have time to read all the details.

With both of my babies, I had LOTS of problems with thrush. We seem to finally be past it now (DD is almost 14 months). But I was talking to my chiro about supplements and such and the thrush problem came up. He suggested I do a self test for candida.* The hand-out he gave me also listed 14 common symptoms of candida, including fatigue, depression, dark circles under the eyes, etc. I have 11 of the 14 symptoms. For years I've thought "I am too young to be SO tired all the time!"

So, maybe fixing this problem would fix a whole lot of other problems for me. I bought the required supplements. On the weekend, you take a supplement to kill the bad bacteria. During the week, a supplement to feed the good bacteria. I started on Saturday and had horrible stomach cramps (I read online that flu-like symptoms are likely when you first start this process). Sunday, I realized I was also supposed to be following a special diet to limit yeast. I looked it up on line and HOLY COW! It is VERY limiting. No GRAINS, no DAIRY! I've been on the diet one day and I feel like I'm starving.

If that's what it takes to get rid of the candida (and therefore all of those symptoms) I'm willing to do it for 6 weeks. But my question is, should I put this off until I'm no longer breastfeeding? I'm afraid my milk will dry up--that I won't take in enough fat and calories to support milk production.

Anyone ever done a yeast reduction diet successfully while breastfeeding?

*Test: spit in a class of water first thing in the morning before eating or brushing teeth, if there are cloudy specks or if saliva sinks to bottom, or if there are "legs" hanging down from saliva floating on top, you have candida).

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM

You want to try to support each other?  I'm starting it today, lol.  I'd read up on it last night (www.candidadiet.com) and I've decided that I don't have much of a choice.  We've been through several prescriptions of antifungals for yeast issues that began when I had to take an antibiotic for an infection that developed in my section incision.  Ever since that prescription it just hasn't stopped.  I'm so sick of going to the doctor for my daughter's yeast rashes and they keep telling me that it isn't yeast when the antifungals clearly work.  Candida can cause allergen sensitivity, as well, and my daughter appears to have 2 new allergies that her father and I don't have in our families.  It makes little sense outside of the candida issue.  So, I'm struggling already, morning one.  I've got to do it, though.

Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:08 AM

After going back to read most of your post, you were hurting yourself (you know that, though).  Just the yeast di-off without adding more yeast to the situation is hard enough for most people to handle.  That sucks, dude.  OUCH!  I'm not doing supplements yet, I'm just cutting out what I can to do it slowly so that we aren't wasting money and time.  Plus, to limit our discomfort. 

RobynS
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I'm so ready to give in and eat an everything bagel right now!! But yes, if I determine that it's safe to do this while bf, it would help to have someone to suffer through it with!!

I'm going to call my chiro later this morning and talk to him about it some more. (He and I didn't really discuss the diet part of it). I may also call the breastfeeding clinic and see what they have to say.

Quoting Pishyah:

You want to try to support each other?  I'm starting it today, lol.  I'd read up on it last night (www.candidadiet.com) and I've decided that I don't have much of a choice.  We've been through several prescriptions of antifungals for yeast issues that began when I had to take an antibiotic for an infection that developed in my section incision.  Ever since that prescription it just hasn't stopped.  I'm so sick of going to the doctor for my daughter's yeast rashes and they keep telling me that it isn't yeast when the antifungals clearly work.  Candida can cause allergen sensitivity, as well, and my daughter appears to have 2 new allergies that her father and I don't have in our families.  It makes little sense outside of the candida issue.  So, I'm struggling already, morning one.  I've got to do it, though.

Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Any detox causes the "tox" part to enter your milk and pass to baby.  However, after your body has detoxed my understanding is that the baby will then detox.  I could be wrong but that's my understanding.  I should probably go to kellymom.com and read up on it some more but my baby's suffering from it, too, and no matter what I do (medicate myself or do it naturally) she'll have something pass to her through the milk.  Let me know what you decide, message me if you want to chat/vent/etc.  : D  Detoxing sucks balls.  You really do feel like eating everything you're not supposed to have.  I remember crying when I detoxed once because the urge to eat something that I knew I shouldn't have was so great, lol. 

sillyputty91980
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:39 AM
You should look into getting the book "The Candida Diet". It takes you through the process step by step and gives you a list of what you can eat week by week along with recipes! It`s an awesome book! I went through this about 4 years ago and lived on rice mixed with green and red peppers for about 2 weeks before starting to add more foods back in! I felt the best that I had in years! I am now at the point where I can eat most things in moderation but only at certain times of the day! If I have something that is too sugary or yeasty first thing in the morning or after dinner, then I have an "allergic reaction" to it! I also have a lactose allergy, so I have to watch my dairy intake as well as the candida! It`s a pain in the rear at first, but you`ll get used to it and the benefits are wonderful!!!
RobynS
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I just read on kellymom that when breastfeeding, you should skip phase 1 of any low-carb diet and start with phase 2. In this case, I guess that means sweet potatoes and certain grains would be okay in moderation.

I'm off to drink some water now, to make sure I don't dehydrate!

Arisce
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

We're starting it too. I'm freaking out about what to feed my multiple food allergy 15 month old!

Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM

My husband and I don't have any milk allergies or penicillin allergies in our families but our daughter has developed both, apparently.  I read that Candida can cause allergen sensitivity which causes you to develop allergies to foods.  Crazy.  It explains so much with my daughter. 

Quote:

We're starting it too. I'm freaking out about what to feed my multiple food allergy 15 month old!

I have a friend who is having trouble with this, too.  Her daughter has SO MANY food allergies!  She said that they have lived off of brown rice and approved veggies for weeks because of the allergies and candida.  It isn't like that is unhealthy but it isn't fun.  If your daughter can eat meat, most are approved so that might give you a couple of flavors to play with.  : (

Arisce
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Quoting Pishyah:

My husband and I don't have any milk allergies or penicillin allergies in our families but our daughter has developed both, apparently.  I read that Candida can cause allergen sensitivity which causes you to develop allergies to foods.  Crazy.  It explains so much with my daughter. 

Quote:

I have a friend who is having trouble with this, too.  Her daughter has SO MANY food allergies!  She said that they have lived off of brown rice and approved veggies for weeks because of the allergies and candida.  It isn't like that is unhealthy but it isn't fun.  If your daughter can eat meat, most are approved so that might give you a couple of flavors to play with.  : (

Uuuug. I think I'm out of brown rice. Meh. This isn't going to be fun. 

Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I hear you.  I just threw mine out the other day because I didn't think it'd ever get eaten.  I'd bought two huge bags of jasmine rice that same day.  I'm wondering how bad white rice is compared to brown.  I know that as far as healthy benefits, brown kicks everything else' butt pretty much because it still has all the husk and everything.  I just hate that it takes longer to cook, don't like the feeling, and it is so bland.  I'm trying to look at this in a positive light and fight off the frustration that I feel at not being able to have a coke or eat chocolate right now.  It is crazy how this stuff works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)