Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going back to work

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 5 week old and we are still struggleing to BF he eats constantly I am sore as hell! He never sleeps and is never satisfied... well I have to go back to work in 3 weeks, I willbe gone 5 hours a day 3 days a week. My issue is that I have NOTHING stored in the freezer because I cant find time to pump he is ALWAYS eating and I get practically nothing when I do pump.

What am I supposed to do when I go to work? Will pumping once in the middle of that 5 hours be enough? I am just  getting myself prepared for the fact I will most likely have to use formula while I am at work he will have to eat twice while I'm gone and I have NOTHING for him :( I wish I was rich and could just stay home..or even stay home until he was eating solids and drinking less often.. I am super bummed today

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandawebb
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

While he is eating on one side, pump the other. If you have an electric pump then you can be hands free (buy a cheap sports bra and cut a small hole so that you can secure the pump) that way you can start storing milk, and the milk you pump while at work you can freeze for the next day or whenever you need it. since you are only gone 3 days a week for 5 hours, you won't have to pump too much of a supply. Just a suggestion.

jenntysmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Quoting amandawebb:

While he is eating on one side, pump the other. If you have an electric pump then you can be hands free (buy a cheap sports bra and cut a small hole so that you can secure the pump) that way you can start storing milk, and the milk you pump while at work you can freeze for the next day or whenever you need it. since you are only gone 3 days a week for 5 hours, you won't have to pump too much of a supply. Just a suggestion.

I would do this but he eats boths sides every feeding and is usually still hungry!

amandawebb
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Babies are much more efficient than pumps so after you've pumped, there is still milk left over that your baby can get. If you have to give a formula bottle here and there until you are able to start building up a supply while at work, its ok. I usually have to give about 1-2 formula bottles a day depending on how much I can pump. Plus, if you give some formula, then you wont have to worry quite as much about not having enough milk. Does he eat through the night? if not, then you can get up every couple hours and pump while he's sleeping, and start building up your supply that way. I usually pump about 2-3 times a night even if my baby is sleeping. When your pumping you have to pump much more often anyway. Or when she's done eating, I'll pump just to make sure I'm pumping every 2-4 hours. I hope this helps......

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Quoting jenntysmom:

I have a 5 week old and we are still struggleing to BF he eats constantly I am sore as hell! He never sleeps and is never satisfied... newborns are never satisfied, its more the sucking they need than the actual milk, but pacis won't do it for mostwell I have to go back to work in 3 weeks, I willbe gone 5 hours a day 3 days a week.yeah thats not much..no big deal My issue is that I have NOTHING stored in the freezer because I cant find time to pump he is ALWAYS eating and I get practically nothing when I do pump.ok first morning nursing..while he is on one side you pump the other...same time.  There will still be enough milk to put him on that side after pumping I promise.  You can do this throughtout the day but morning session is the MOST milk.  Keep in mind that you won't need but maybe 2-3 oz while youa re gone each day

What am I supposed to do when I go to work? Will pumping once in the middle of that 5 hours be enough?YEP, because that is when baby will eat I am just  getting myself prepared for the fact I will most likely have to use formula while I am at workummm doubt it he will have to eat twice while I'm gone why????and I have NOTHING for him :( you can change thatI wish I was rich and could just stay home..or even stay home until he was eating solids and drinking less often.. I am super bummed todayI could barely pump a thing and I never used formula no worries

OK heres the deal I told you when to pump...ALSO think about this nurse before leaving it should be 2-3 hours before he needs to eat again...tell caregiver that..its FINE to schedule feedings when away they can make up for feedings when you get home..some babies sleeep 8 hours a night without nursing yours can go 5 hours with 2-3 oz, THEN nurse as soon as you get home....my son nursed at 6:30 am took 2-2 oz bottles and then nursed at 3:30pm and on demand the rest of the night...he did fine.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Quoting jenntysmom:

Quoting amandawebb:

I would do this but he eats boths sides every feeding and is usually still hungry!

THATS normal...still pump like she said and offer the side once done pumping, you can switch back and forth back and forth your breasts MAKE milk while milk is removed...keep going back and forth and the milk is there, your breasts are never ever empty the flow is just less than he likes but its there.

jenntysmom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM

ok I think I have a time when I can pump... my son sleeps from 9-3 at night and my husband comes home from work at midnight so if he wakes me up I can pump at that time.. how long should I pump for?

The only reason I think he will need more that 1 bottle is because when I have given him a bottle he takes 4oz and he eats every 1-2 hours for 45 min+ in the morning he PIGS OUT he wakes around 7 and will eat until 8-8:30 then I feed my 4 y/o and by the time he is done 9:00 he eats again but fusses the whole time by 9:30-10:00 my nipples are about to fall off I used to have a little bit of milk in the freezer I will give him BM(which I am out of) or formula in a bottle at 10:00 and he will eat 3-4oz still!! and then by 11:30 he eats again! and again around 1:00

I will be gone working from 8:30-1:30 the time of day when he eats the most UGHHHH

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM
Quoting jenntysmom:

I have a 5 week old and we are still struggleing to BF he eats constantly I am sore as hell! He never sleeps and is never satisfied... well I have to go back to work in 3 weeks, I willbe gone 5 hours a day 3 days a week. My issue is that I have NOTHING stored in the freezer because I cant find time to pump he is ALWAYS eating and I get practically nothing when I do pump.

Define "practically nothing." Normal output is one half ounce to two ounces total and he needs five to seven and a half ounces a day for your work schedule. OOne to one and a half ounces per hour...and that's a permanent number.

Pump WHILE YOU NURSE. It's the most effective use of your time and gets the best output, increases supply and NEVER shorts the baby..

What am I supposed to do when I go to work? Will pumping once in the middle of that 5 hours be enough?

Pump one side while nursing the other every single morning from here on out, too. Every day, like brushing your teeth. In fact, skip brushnt before you skip this.

I am just  getting myself prepared for the fact I will most likely have to use formula while I am at work he will have to eat twice while I'm gone and I have NOTHING for him :( I wish I was rich and could just stay home..or even stay home until he was eating solids and drinking less often.. I am super bummed today

Relax. You're anticipating things that aren't real. Nope, you won't need it. 15 hours a week? Pish. I worked four times that many hours and managed. If I can, you can. BELIEVE IT. **grin**

Starting TODAY...pump one side while nursing the other during ALL AM FEEDS. ALL of them.

64 ounces water daily.

3000 mg fenugreek daily.

Three cups Mother's Milk Tea daily.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM
Quoting jenntysmom:

Quoting amandawebb:

PERFECT! Do it anyway. DO IT. I mean that. This is how you build supply. No more "can't."

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Quoting jenntysmom:

ok I think I have a time when I can pump... my son sleeps from 9-3 at night and my husband comes home from work at midnight so if he wakes me up I can pump at that time.. how long should I pump for?

The only reason I think he will need more that 1 bottle is because when I have given him a bottle he takes 4oz thats overfeeding..BF babies will overeat from a bottleand he eats every 1-2 hours then he needs maybe 2 oz of BM in a bottlefor 45 min+ in the morning he PIGS OUT he wakes around 7 and will eat until 8-8:30 then I feed my 4 y/o and by the time he is done 9:00 he eats again but fusses the whole time by 9:30-10:00 my nipples are about to fall off I used to have a little bit of milk in the freezer I will give him BM(which I am out of) or formula in a bottle at 10:00 and he will eat 3-4oz still!!its NOT that he is hungry he wants to suck for comfort, and the bottles are making matters worse... and then by 11:30 he eats again! and again around 1:00

I will be gone working from 8:30-1:30 the time of day when he eats the most UGHHHHhe'll adjust times for when he eats and he WILL back off, but you have to MAKE sure not to overfeed him, THAT is causing some of the issue.  Overfeeding from the bottle stretches a tummy and they think they need more than they do.

1-1.25 oz an hour so if its been 2 hours since eatting a 2-2.5 oz bottle is enough

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Jenn...everything you've been told here is tried and true by moms who work longer hours than you will be. PLEASE...put away your doubts. There's NO WAY ION HELL you won't be able to keep up the nursing UNLESS you slice your breasts off. OK? It's a big fat myth that you must be a SAHM...the MOST SUCCESSFUL breastfeeding moms I've known were wortking full time scehdules.
Quoting jenntysmom:

15 min. each session. At 9, 11 and 1. Expect only half an ounce each session...that's because supply and pump response is lowest at night.

The only reason I think he will need more that 1 bottle is because when I have given him a bottle he takes 4oz

Overfeeding. Stop. He'll take it if it's given because it's like the ducks they fattne for pate...they cannot STOP the flow of food. He can't stop the drip of the bottle.

Indeed..STOP GIVING BOTTLES. Not ONE from you. When you're home you NURSE. No matter HOW pissy he gets at the breast. He's developing nipple preference. Unles you intend to take him to the tattoo parlor today for his tat and peircings., srtop giving in to him.

and he eats every 1-2 hours for 45 min+ in the morning

EXCELLENT...encourage that because it menas your supply is FAB in the AM.

he PIGS OUT he wakes around 7 and will eat until 8-8:30 then I feed my 4 y/o and by the time he is done 9:00 he eats again but fusses the whole time

Good, good! That means things are goinjg right. Woprry ewhen they DON'T fuss in the newborn stage. If you're not wanting to toss him out the window all the time, soemthing's wrong. If you DO toss him something's really wrong!

by 9:30-10:00 my nipples are about to fall off I used to have a little bit of milk in the freezer I will give him BM(which I am out of) or formula in a bottle at 10:00 and he will eat 3-4oz still!!

Doesn't matter. Get a sling, pop himn in and STOP THOSE BOTTLES. Yopu're shooting yourself in the foot. Stop putting blood into your carpet, OK? I don't care HOW pissy he gets...no bottles from you from here on out. The pissiness will last a day or two and be gone...and your supply will be boosted like you wouldn't believe. Pissy baboies = good for supply. Happy babies are to be feared.

and then by 11:30 he eats again! and again around 1:00

I will be gone working from 8:30-1:30 the time of day when he eats the most UGHHHH

You CAN get through this...but you've got to stop the self-sabotage. Making things easier for 30 seconds is making them harder for the long run. Stop that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)