Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Workin' on a year but she is starting to give up on me!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM
  • 5 Replies

I am VERY proud to say that my dd has only had my milk. Not one drop of formula. It was a very hard struggle in the begining. My dd will be 1 on Friday (sniff sniff) and she has resorted to only nursing in the morning and before bed. However, the night-time feeding is only about 5 min max. It feels like each day is getting shorter and shorter. I know it is only 4 days away but I really want to make it to that special "1 yr" mark. I think she is starting to self wean, which is fine. But I don't want her to give it up completley before her 1 year appt. next monday. Any advice?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KennaBarron
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Your lucky! Most people have a hard time weaning. Congradulations on making it this far!

way to go

Arisce
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Offer during the day. Up to a year they're supposed to nurse before solids. Usually self weaning before a year is due to too many solids or thinking a nursing strike is weaning. So, if you want to nurse past a year offer more often and maybe cut back on solids for a week. Or if you're ready to be done go with it!

Either way, congratulations on making it to a year!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Well....best deal is to OFFER, offer offer.  I mean solids should only be 25% of diet right now so ...and 12 month olds need to nurse 3 times a day to not need other milks...SOOOOO offer more.

NOT offering is a way to wean called don't offer don't refuse.  12 month olds are very distracted and often forget to nurse.

5 min nursing session is a full nursing session for some kids, it was for my son...5 min was long for him around that age.

True self weaning is when a child doesn't choose food over nursing or other drinks over nursing but rather chooses NO nursing. KWIM?

Optimistic101
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Oh i have tried and tried to offer the boob during the day. Ever since she has started walking (9.5mo) she doesn't want to take time out of the day to nurse. I have tried a quiet place, a dark room, and when I put the breast up to her she hits it...she is quite the little stinker!

MotherRachelle
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Just keep it up. My little one has only been nursing 3 times a day since 9 months. Only 3-5 min on each breast. It's what she is happy with so I don't argue with her. She just made it to a year on the 16th (No Formula) and we now only nurse before nap and before bed. Those nursings are starting to get to only 3 min on each breast though. If she is happy then you are doing the right thing, just keep offering before before naps/bedtime and when she wakes up. Even if she only nurses for 2min it still counts. Good job mama.

Quoting Optimistic101:

Oh i have tried and tried to offer the boob during the day. Ever since she has started walking (9.5mo) she doesn't want to take time out of the day to nurse. I have tried a quiet place, a dark room, and when I put the breast up to her she hits it...she is quite the little stinker!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)