Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finger foods?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

What age do you normally introduce them? My son is about six and a half months and we've been slowly introducing solids [pureed] to him. Mostly he has just eaten avacado and banana, but what other things is it safe to introduce him to at this point?

I'm a baby wearing, exclusively breastfeeding, non-circumcising, non-vaccinating, co-sleeping, homeschooling, extended breastfeeding, extended rear facing, first time mommy to Taegan Illiam Grey, born July 10 2009.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM

we did home made purees until about 9 months then it was all soft cooked food or whatever were were eating. i dont think he picked stuff up on his own until about 11 months.

Owl_Feather
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

i startd offering finger foods when my son was about 8 or 9 months old. around that age his pincer grasp was really good. he enjoyed sliced bananas and pancakes the most

nessy1980
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

you know honestly I played it all by ear. At 6 months I was giving oatmeal still and only breast milk. You can try apple sauce, they have some at the store with pomegranete in it. Or what I did I took my food I was eating and pureed it. I tried giving mashed potatoes and my baby doesnt like them for some reason.

vances_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM
DD is 7m/o and she loves cheerios, rice crispies and steamed broccoli :) she'll hold the flowerette in her hand and gnaw the top of it off. She's much more interested in food than DS was. I just follow her cues.
cdeweese
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I used to have a home daycare and in our training we were told that when you start introducing, solids around six months and older, put an extra spoon or some finger foods on the baby's tray and let them decide when they want to try it. Not only can they kinda set their own pace, but it also helps them develop the fine motor skills they will need to self feed later on.

H.I.S.
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Gerber Puffs...they dissolve in their mouth and come in a variety of flavors. I started my son around six months with the sweet potato kind. Mum-Mums are also another good dissolvable choice...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)