Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

best way to dry your milk up

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

Please no bashing me for stopping BF.

I wasent even on planning on BF and then when my milk came in i wanted to try it. My nipples cracked so bad to the point to where they are bleeding and everytime that i nurse her it feels like my nipple is going to fall off. It hurts sooooo bad. She was nursing almost every hour and it was just too much for me. Now i have these HUGE boobs that are sore and leaking and I was wondering what the best way to help dry them up was?

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

OK. I say this because things are still SOOOO early and I'd hate you to get past the hormones and have regrets...the pain can be corrected and usually is the product of a bad latch.

The constant feeding is NORMAL. They do that for about six weeks.

Cabbage leaves in your bra will zap supply slowly. And tell your doctor you want regular combination birth control pills...that will kill the supply as effectively as cutting off your breasts.

But only do this if you're utterly sure you don't want to continue. Like I said..l.the problems you repoprt are actually small hurdles. Nothing compared to what's ahead of you in the Mom Game. We all have to pay the piper at some time.

rileysmomma17
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

OK. I say this because things are still SOOOO early and I'd hate you to get past the hormones and have regrets...the pain can be corrected and usually is the product of a bad latch.

The constant feeding is NORMAL. They do that for about six weeks.

Cabbage leaves in your bra will zap supply slowly. And tell your doctor you want regular combination birth control pills...that will kill the supply as effectively as cutting off your breasts.

But only do this if you're utterly sure you don't want to continue. Like I said..l.the problems you repoprt are actually small hurdles. Nothing compared to what's ahead of you in the Mom Game. We all have to pay the piper at some time.

I read that it could take up to 6 weeks for your nipples to get used to it. There is no way that i could do that everyday for 6 weeks!

Pregnancy%20ticker

First_One_8_18
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Honestly, it only took mine about a week to get used to it, but it shouldn't take more than two.I agree with PP, if you want to try, I would give it just a little more time, but if you're alright with not BFing anymore, than go ahead.

I agree with the cabbage. I have heard that works. Don't express ANY milk when you're trying to dry up. It's uncomfortable, but you will just prolong the process if you drain them. Also, I know that when I take benadryl, it affects my supply and I have heard that peppermint also works for lessening supply.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

KyriesMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

It only really hurts when there is a bad latch, and it takes a week or two to get your nipples used to it. If you want to keep going get the gel patches (they have them at Target) and lanolin cream. They will save your nipples.

I am a vaxing, spank when needed, non-circumcising, non-cio, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, I have also used formula, noob to cloth diapering, my children watch TV, forward faced my DD at one year (may not do that with my DS). I learn as I go and change my parenting style to what suits my current beliefs.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM
Quoting rileysmomma17:

I read that it could take up to 6 weeks for your nipples to get used to it. There is no way that i could do that everyday for 6 weeks!

Oh, heck no. More like one or two weeks. LANSINOH is your best friend. And soothies.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM

No, I would not bash you. The other ladies have already told you how to dry up, so I will only add that the pain does get better. There would not be so many breastfeeding moms, for so many years, if it hurt that badly for that long. We promise you, it does get better! You are doing good, mama.. just take it one day at a time and get some support locally from LLL (www.llli.org) or a Lactation Consultant from your hospital to ensure you are using a good position and latch when baby nurses!

Mia ~  Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator

CheyanneW
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Just wanted to add that what I did was freeze the cabbage leaves.  It felt better to me cold then I would have DH help wrap me bind myself in an ace bandage.

MonLeighB
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM
When I was looking to increase my supply I was looking at a tea @ BabiesRUs... there was also a tea to help dry up the milk. Not sure how effective it is though. Good luck in whatever you decide! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)