Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Question about Sippy Cups and the Breastfed Child:

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Okay. I hope I'm making this clear enough, and not filled with too much fluff!!!

My son will be 6 months old on January 29th.  He is exclusively breastfed.  No bottles or anything.  On the 29th, I am going to introduce solids to him.  One tablespoon of mashed bananas after nursing, once a day for a week, and then avocados for a week, etc.  I think I have it down, at least for right now.

My question is about introducing sippy cups, or even regular cups, for that matter.  I just don't know how to go about it.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to stay at home, but I will eventually be returning to school for my bachelor's.  Would this be a good time to introduce him to sipping from another source?  How do I go about it?  Do I give him "practice" cups of water or breastmilk?  How much in the cup? Do I need to wait?

Now, before you answer, I'd like to tell you what I DO know:

*Breastfed babies do not need water until about 1 year.  They get all of the hydration they need from breastmilk.  Giving too much water at this age could create an electrolyte imbalance.

*At 6 months to a year, breastfed babies are only "trying out" solids.  It should not replace breastmilk as their main source of nutrition.

*Babies DO NOT need to wash down solids with water.  Breastmilk will do more than suffice.

*When I go back to pumping, I know that I only need an once to an ounce and a half per hour of separation.

So, having said that. . . would a "practice" ounce of water affect anything?  Or does it need to be breastmilk?  If it IS breastmilk, would that create a sippy preference to the breast?

Thank you!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bblyzes
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

they dont need water no but it wont hurt them my kids where breast feed till a year and they started getting sippy cups around 7 months i think a little water or juice mixed with water would be fine you should also see if your baby will take your milk from a sippy cause mine wouldn't and that was a problem it would be nice if you could have the baby do that so he could have the milk away from you as well as with you since he hasn't had a bottle and your going to be heading back to school 

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Sounds like you've got your facts down - - good job!!!!  :) 

That said, like the previous poster said - they don't NEED water, but giving small amounts of it to practice using a cup is a good thing.  I let my kids practice in the high chair and also in the bath tub.  They were both pros at sippy cups by the time they turned 1, and by 2 my daughter could use a regular cup proficiently, although she's 3 now and I still give her sippys or cups with straws unless she's sitting down at a table. . . .

Edit - forgot to address the breastmilk in a cup - - - it would be a great substitute for a bottle - you would never have to worry about giving your kid a bottle if they know how to use a cup.  BUT, dont bother trying to give breastmilk from a cup while you're around - - the first time you're gone, have their caregive give it, and if they are hungry, they will take it  :)

LeanneC
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Yea, you can absolutely introduce a sippy when you introduce solids. Water is fine, no need to waste your milk!

Don't expect him to actually drink anything from it for several months... it will just be another toy to chew on in his eyes and that's fine. 

My son just turned 10 months and just now figured out that water actually comes out of a sippy cup.  It took his brother until 11 months!  

Overall, just relax!   Solids should be fun and natural... no need to make it stressful!  Your babe also doesn't need solids everyday to start (unless you want to, obviously) and he may not take to them right away, which is, again, OK!  Let him lead you.

Not sure when you will be going back to school and how long you will be gone... but you may be able to get away with not pumping at all. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Quoting kelli0585:

Okay. I hope I'm making this clear enough, and not filled with too much fluff!!!

My son will be 6 months old on January 29th.  He is exclusively breastfed.  No bottles or anything.  On the 29th, I am going to introduce solids to him.  One tablespoon of mashed bananas after nursing, once a day for a week, and then avocados for a week, etc.  I think I have it down, at least for right now.

My question is about introducing sippy cups, or even regular cups, for that matter.  I just don't know how to go about it.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to stay at home, but I will eventually be returning to school for my bachelor's.  Would this be a good time to introduce him to sipping from another source?YEP  How do I go about it?try soft spout, try hard spout with o valve, try straws(mine like straws)  Do I give him "practice" cups of water or breastmilk?water is fine, BM is fine  How much in the cup?1-2oz maybe Do I need to wait?nah its fine, give with meals of solids

Now, before you answer, I'd like to tell you what I DO know:

*Breastfed babies do not need water until about 1 year.  They get all of the hydration they need from breastmilk.  Giving too much water at this age could create an electrolyte imbalance.but less than 4 oz a day actually drinking is fine, remember alot will be spilled out of the mouth

*At 6 months to a year, breastfed babies are only "trying out" solids.  It should not replace breastmilk as their main source of nutrition.yep

*Babies DO NOT need to wash down solids with water.  Breastmilk will do more than suffice.right BUT you can give water, water is fine

*When I go back to pumping, I know that I only need an once to an ounce and a half per hour of separation.right sometimes less..my son took 4 oz in 8 hours because we upped solids when away and downed them when together, plus he nursed 7 times a day when I was home...

So, having said that. . . would a "practice" ounce of water affect anything? nope not at all Or does it need to be breastmilk? i'd so water first personally not wasting BM If it IS breastmilk, would that create a sippy preference to the breast?nah...don't give it instead of the nursing nurse offer solids and offer the sippy WITH the solids

Thank you!

kelli0585
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Thank you, ladies!

You've been a real help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)