Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nursing a 12 month old

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM
  • 1 Replies

My daughter will me 1 on the 22nd *cry*. I never thought I would be nursing a TODDLER! I'm actually kind of excited! How often should a 1 year old be nursing? She nurses 6 times every day (4 in the day, 2 at night). Is it normal for breast fed babies to "level out" on weight gain around this age? She's been hanging around 21 pounds for about 8 weeks now.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tayers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Totally normal for her weight to level out and even drop a little depending on her activity.  As they start crawling and walking they slow weigh down.  Breastfed babies pack on all their weight in the beginning and get the good fat than slow way down as they become more active.  After a year solids can start playing a bigger role .  My DD is 11 months old and still nurses probably 8-10 times in a 24hr period.  My DS who I nursed till 18 months when he self weaned slowed way down after his first birthday.  He was walking really well and just got to busy and didnt want to slow down.  DD seems to be nursing more and Im hoping she doesnt lose interest.  My goal with DS was one year and we made it to 18 months.  My goal with DD is at least 18 months so hopefully we will go longer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)