Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much in a bottle?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

We don't and will not do the 1oz per hour thing so I will stop you right there :)

How much should I put in her bottle? She is almost 4 months old and at least 17lbs and we give her 4oz at a time. DH says she doesn't seem satisfied anymore. A month ago she was at 3 or 3 1/2 from what I was able to interpret from weighing her after feedings. I now don't have access to a scale like I used to so just wondering if it's time to bump her up. When we moved her from 3 you could see a drastic change in that she was way more satisfied. I feel like 4 is still cutting it... Just wondering what you guys do.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM
Replies (1-10):
Arisce
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I did one ounce an hour, never more then 3oz at a time.

Brookesmom10
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM

My DD is 4 months old and I was told by her ped, to up it when she was ready she took 4 oz  from the time I started a bottle at 6 weeks when I went back to work until the end of last month! she has been taking 5 oz just for the month and you are right you can tell the difference, her last day with 4oz she was very fussy nursed for what seemed like ever when I picked her up and the next day the person that watches her during the day said she was much happier, i would say try one bottle at 5oz and she if she eats it all, she is most likely ready. you have to remember the samething i do you have a big baby! size wise you have a 9 month old! 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting mrsroeh:

We don't and will not do the 1oz per hour thing so I will stop you right there :)

SO why come ask for help if you refuse to follow the guidelines given..1-1.25 oz an hour..so if its been 3 hours thats 3-3.75 oz bottle...

How much should I put in her bottle?how often does she eatShe is almost 4 months old and at least 17lbs and we give her 4oz at a timesounds normal, but weight and age mean NOTHING for BM not a thing...jsut number of feedings in a day. DH says she doesn't seem satisfied anymore.I loathe that word used to describe BF babies..BF babies will overfeed from bottles so its not based in satifaction its based on nutritional needs, 4 months is a growth spurt that may be the issue A month ago she was at 3 or 3 1/2 from what I was able to interpret from weighing her after feedings.after EVERY feeding for 24-48 hours??? I now don't have access to a scale like I used to so just wondering if it's time to bump her up.there never is a time to BUM<P up unless baby is eatting less often..BM gets better with time, its not like formula where amounts need to be increased...the nutrients and everything get better and better over time When we moved her from 3 you could see a drastic change in that she was way more satisfied. I feel like 4 is still cutting it... Just wondering what you guys do.

I follow the 1-1.25 oz rule, its tried and true and proven by IBCLCs and working moms alike.  OR you can think 25-30 oz a day...divide by number of feedings..so 6 feedings a day would be arouns 4-5 oz bottles, 7 feedings would be less than that, 8 feedings owuld be 3-4 oz bottles..get the idea?? 

Bottles are confusing to BF babies for many reasons. 

-ONE foremilk and hindmilk mix together in a bottle and therefore the feeling they get from the breast of foremilk first then hindmilk is messed up from a bottle.

-TWO bottles are easier and faster to the sucking reflex is still in full swing, the sucking at the breast is more difficult and so they feel they haven't worked hard enough to be done when a bottle is done

-THREE breasts are like faucets, the are fast flow them gradually slow but never fully trun off, the bottle is like a light switch..on or off...full force or not any at all.

read these

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Quoting Brookesmom10:

My DD is 4 months old and I was told by her ped, to up it when she was ready she took 4 oz  from the time I started a bottle at 6 weeks when I went back to work until the end of last month! she has been taking 5 oz just for the month and you are right you can tell the difference, her last day with 4oz she was very fussy nursed for what seemed like ever when I picked her up and the next day the person that watches her during the day said she was much happier, i would say try one bottle at 5oz and she if she eats it all, she is most likely ready. you have to remember the samething i do you have a big baby! size wise you have a 9 month old! 

I'm glad this works for you and your baby, BUT I want to mention that peds are the WORST person to ask for BFing advice.  BF babies WILL and DO overeat from bottles, thsi causes stretched tummies and nipple preference, not to mention less nursing at home, meaning supply goes down which means pumping will go down which in turn means supplimenting.  Vicious circle.

BIG babies still have the same size tummies as smaller babies...weight has NOTHING to do with how much BM a baby needs.

Please ask an IBCLC for BFing info and help from now on.

AGAIn do what works for you, but remember that peds give incorrect info per BFing babies.

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I agree with everything Tabi said!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting mrsroeh:

SO why come ask for help if you refuse to follow the guidelines given..1-1.25 oz an hour..so if its been 3 hours thats 3-3.75 oz bottle...

How much should I put in her bottle?how often does she eatShe is almost 4 months old and at least 17lbs and we give her 4oz at a timesounds normal, but weight and age mean NOTHING for BM not a thing...jsut number of feedings in a day. DH says she doesn't seem satisfied anymore.I loathe that word used to describe BF babies..BF babies will overfeed from bottles so its not based in satifaction its based on nutritional needs, 4 months is a growth spurt that may be the issue A month ago she was at 3 or 3 1/2 from what I was able to interpret from weighing her after feedings.after EVERY feeding for 24-48 hours??? I now don't have access to a scale like I used to so just wondering if it's time to bump her up.there never is a time to BUM

When we moved her from 3 you could see a drastic change in that she was way more satisfied. I feel like 4 is still cutting it... Just wondering what you guys do.

I follow the 1-1.25 oz rule, its tried and true and proven by IBCLCs and working moms alike.  OR you can think 25-30 oz a day...divide by number of feedings..so 6 feedings a day would be arouns 4-5 oz bottles, 7 feedings would be less than that, 8 feedings owuld be 3-4 oz bottles..get the idea?? 

-ONE foremilk and hindmilk mix together in a bottle and therefore the feeling they get from the breast of foremilk first then hindmilk is messed up from a bottle.

-TWO bottles are easier and faster to the sucking reflex is still in full swing, the sucking at the breast is more difficult and so they feel they haven't worked hard enough to be done when a bottle is done

-THREE breasts are like faucets, the are fast flow them gradually slow but never fully trun off, the bottle is like a light switch..on or off...full force or not any at all.

read these

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Quoting mrsroeh:

How much should I put in her bottle? She is almost 4 months old and at least 17lbs and we give her 4oz at a time. DH says she doesn't seem satisfied anymore. A month ago she was at 3 or 3 1/2 from what I was able to interpret from weighing her after feedings. I now don't have access to a scale like I used to so just wondering if it's time to bump her up. When we moved her from 3 you could see a drastic change in that she was way more satisfied. I feel like 4 is still cutting it... Just wondering what you guys do.

Well then you don't want to hear what I would do then!!

Miranda, proud Homebirthing, Co-sleeping,

Breastfeeding, Anti CIO, Anti Circ,No Vax,
Cloth diapering mom to
Rhiannon,Arielle & Harrison.

mrsroeh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:01 PM

WOW! What a "supportive" reply... I posted here because I figured out of over 23,000 members I could expect not to be the only one who didn't do the 1oz per hour rule. If I came to post about how to wean a 1 year old would you tell me not to post because that isn't the recommended guideline? How about showing some support that I haven't quit BF and turned to formula because I went back to work? Sorry I can't keep her on the boob all day and have to use the sinful bottles that are "so confusing" Maybe I should go to formula so that there is no mix up. And without even having the second website my DH does all but 2 of those things. Not bad if you ask me!

I do have to disagree with you on the overfeeding issue. My daughter will throw up if she eats too much AT THE BREAST. I have seen it with an oversupply issue and if I let her go too long (over 20 min). It isn't reflux or allergies, got that covered. Every baby is different and that's why I can't do the 1 oz rule. So every baby only needs 1oz per hour? Isn't that just generalizing too?  When I mentioned the scale, no, not EVERY feeding for 24-48 hours and that's why I said "what I was able to interpret" I did this for 9 weeks so I feel like I have a better grasp then someone who has never done a weigh in before. The calculator on the website you shared is very off for her. A light snack could be 1-2oz and her biggest feeding I recorded was 6oz!! I think that is much better knowledge of what a baby does at the breast then some online calculator that generalizes on the "average" baby. Guess that's just me...

I guess I will just skip posting radical questions that don't fit in the "good mommy" box. I will just wait till my LC calls back. Thanks again.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting mrsroeh:

How much should I put in her bottle?how often does she eatShe is almost 4 months old and at least 17lbs and we give her 4oz at a timesounds normal, but weight and age mean NOTHING for BM not a thing...jsut number of feedings in a day. DH says she doesn't seem satisfied anymore.I loathe that word used to describe BF babies..BF babies will overfeed from bottles so its not based in satifaction its based on nutritional needs, 4 months is a growth spurt that may be the issue A month ago she was at 3 or 3 1/2 from what I was able to interpret from weighing her after feedings.after EVERY feeding for 24-48 hours??? I now don't have access to a scale like I used to so just wondering if it's time to bump her up.there never is a time to BUM

When we moved her from 3 you could see a drastic change in that she was way more satisfied. I feel like 4 is still cutting it... Just wondering what you guys do.

read these

Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I NEVER sent more the a 4 oz bottle to daycare...She ate every 3 hours....And sometimes she would finish the bottles sometimes she didn't!! Babies tend to over eat with bottles because it flows faster out of the bottle then it would out of the breast.....Which is why FF babies tend to spit up more often! I would say not to "bump" your LO's bottle up! At least I never did! 

breastfeedingbaby girlin loveexpecting baby~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Maternity tickers
abstractmommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I just let my baby have as much as he wants. Sometimes it's 5 ounces, sometimes its 3. I serve the bottles from bags of milk. I would say start with offering a little more than you think he wants.

My baby is 7 weeks, btw.

If you're a mom in need or want to help needy mommies, please join my giveaway group! Weekly diaper bag giveaways full of baby goodies, and more!

www.cafemom.com/group/giveaways4mommies

mrsroeh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, that makes the most sense to me. Might waste a little milk but I have a good supply. It seems like that would be the closest way to boob. Once she loses interest just stop offering. Does he spit out the nipple or turn his head? Or can you just tell he's done?

Quoting abstractmommy:

I just let my baby have as much as he wants. Sometimes it's 5 ounces, sometimes its 3. I serve the bottles from bags of milk. I would say start with offering a little more than you think he wants.

My baby is 7 weeks, btw.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)